Single gps/sonar for console AND bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhos

Reaction score
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster... I'm researching gps/sonar units and have a question. It just doesn't make sense to me to buy two units and mount them a few feet away from each other. I'd like to buy one nice unit (like a 797si humminbird, can't afford two of those) and be able to move it between the console and the bow as needed. Does this make sense (please find flaws in my reasoning here, as I can't seem to find info on anyone doing this...) and does something like the 797 support being used in this way? I'd think it would be a lot cheaper to buy an extra mount & transducer(s) than a whole second unit. Thanks.

Welcome.
Nice question.I know they make a switch so if you wanted to use 1 mount and 2 transducers.Not sure about an extra mount being avaliable but it probably would be.Two seperate circuits,one unit,sounds like it would work good.

Could the unit be mounted on a swivel base, between the driver's seat and your fishing seat.Then just turn the unit to the direction needed for viewing.Just an idea.

just remember for the side imaging to work you need to be moving at a slow speed
you can order the extra mount for the unit and use a non side imaging transducer at the console it will save you a couple hundred bucks and give you a great unit

Wayne

Thanks for the responses so far, that's exactly what I was thinking, NOT use the SI when on the console, just use it for the GPS and flasher, then move it to the bow for SI and traditional (and maybe to mark charts) when I find a promising location. Can anyone who has a 797c2 SI verify that two bases will work (no hard wires into the unit itself) and post the part number for the base if possible. It would be very much appreciated, as the base doesn't seem to be listed as an accessory on Humminbird's website.

As for mounts, I bought one of these at Cabela's and I like it.
Link to mount: https://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21276-cat21402&rid=&indexId=cat21402&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat21402&id=0000835
It's a swivel base that you attach your standard sonars mounting bracket to. Pushing the button allows you to swivel the unit and/or detach it from the lower section. If you had extra sonar wiring plugs at a different loaction, moving it would be rather simple.
I'd think that you should be able to get T connectors and run a second set of cables then just swap the units location.

P8172031.jpg