Shallow water anchor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatheadsteve

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody here use a power pole micro or stay put type anchor? The larger powered versions don't interest me they get in the way to much for my use. Would be mainly using it in conjuction with a traditional anchor up front just to position stern exactly where I want it. We catfish often with 6 rods out the back and I usually end up with 2 anchors out to get the boat exactly where I want. My boats heavier then they recommend but I don't intend to use one as the sole anchor. Several manufacturers out there hopefully somebody here has some experience with one.

I don't have one but if you fish stationary I can see how this would be a big improvement. I dont' see a weight specification for the optional heavy duty spike. According to the reviews on the Power Pole website, guys on bigger boats, like 17' & 18' glass center consoles, are using it and are happy with it. Might be worth checking out the "HD Spike" option.

I think I'm going to go with the stay put. I really like the mount to put it on the outboard motor mount bracket and I like not having any electronics to fail. I keep a small dead blow hammer in a tool kit onboard I could always use that to drive it in a little deeper in hard bottom.

Power Pole Micro units are just bad a**, look on Market Place and you'll find a deal on them. Highly recommend. But try to stay close to the limits.

Ok so there are a lot of companies making pretty much the same thing. Except for the power pole which requires 12v. Anyway I just ordered the stick it anchor. 9ft pole with mount is only $165 roughly 1/3rd price of most. The mount is a 3d printed composite and they rate them for up to a 20ft boat.

I’m going Power Pole Micro when I get ready to buy one. I fished with my buddy out of his Skeeter with a dual setup a bunch before I got my own boat. The fishing experience is really awesome when you can just park it at the push of a button. Once you experience it, hard to go without. I miss that in my boat. We were red fishing Sunday and could see them on a little flat but with the wind, tide, and light boat we didn’t get to cast that many times. Could have slaughtered em’ with a pole setup.

I’m going Power Pole Micro when I get ready to buy one. I fished with my buddy out of his Skeeter with a dual setup a bunch before I got my own boat. The fishing experience is really awesome when you can just park it at the push of a button. Once you experience it, hard to go without. I miss that in my boat. We were red fishing Sunday and could see them on a little flat but with the wind, tide, and light boat we didn’t get to cast that many times. Could have slaughtered em’ with a pole setup.
Best money you’ll spend.

I've been looking at the power pole micro anchor..... Not sure it will fit on my Tracker Grizzly with my pods on the back.
My grizzly comes with pin holes on all 4 corners. Not sure I really need the "power" feature. Might just need the pole. They are like $80

I have to say, the last 2 times we went redfishing in the marsh shallows, we just dropped an anchor and it worked out great. There was an anchor that came with my boat when I bought it. If you have the anchor already out on deck and ready, it's pretty quiet too. I'm not going to rush out and buy a power pole or anything, bc the anchor that I already have works pretty darn good for my uses.

I have to say, the last 2 times we went redfishing in the marsh shallows, we just dropped an anchor and it worked out great. There was an anchor that came with my boat when I bought it. If you have the anchor already out on deck and ready, it's pretty quiet too. I'm not going to rush out and buy a power pole or anything, bc the anchor that I already have works pretty darn good for my uses.
Yeah it all depends on the situation. When catfishing we fish with up to 9 rods out 6 usually out the back off the transom. I need the boat positioned with the stern facing whatever log jam or cover we are fishing and I can't have the wind or current or boat wakes causing it to sway side to side tangling lines up. It's always a 2 anchor affair when doing that. Days where the wind changes directions alot not uncommon to run 2 off the back and 1 off the front to keep the boat from swaying.

Yeah it all depends on the situation. When catfishing we fish with up to 9 rods out 6 usually out the back off the transom. I need the boat positioned with the stern facing whatever log jam or cover we are fishing and I can't have the wind or current or boat wakes causing it to sway side to side tangling lines up. It's always a 2 anchor affair when doing that. Days where the wind changes directions alot not uncommon to run 2 off the back and 1 off the front to keep the boat from swaying.
I can see that.

I have a push in pole, and it works great most of the time.

Last time I used it, the bottom was really soft and muddy, and the wind was blowing, and the water was 7'+ deep, so the pole had a hard time staying set. It would slowly lean over. Used the trolling motor to pull up into 6' water, and it stayed put then.

They work very well for keeping the boat from swinging when on anchor.

Now that I've got the I-Pilot upgrade kit, we'll see if I need the pole as often once I install the kit.

I have a push in pole, and it works great most of the time.

Last time I used it, the bottom was really soft and muddy, and the wind was blowing, and the water was 7'+ deep, so the pole had a hard time staying set. It would slowly lean over. Used the trolling motor to pull up into 6' water, and it stayed put then.

They work very well for keeping the boat from swinging when on anchor.

Now that I've got the I-Pilot upgrade kit, we'll see if I need the pole as often once I install the kit.
A word about using the i-pilot. Keep your anchor pin in the boat. You'll need it.
Spot lock is an awesome feature in open water with a little wind or current to keep you in the general area.
But without wind in a little cove while fishing a brush pile, it is just about useless. It can never figure out what direction it's pointing so is constantly trying to adjust the boat....very annoying and ultimately spooks fish in shallow water.
This is the reason I went low tech and bought the anchor pin. I need the position of the boat I'm fishing (stern or bow) to essentially not move and face the structure I'm fishing.

Anchor lock on the garmin works well but not well enough not to have a big gust of wind hit and move the boat a couple feet before the motor adjusts and does its thing. It also won't stop a wake or wind coming from the side or boat wake from swaying the stern. When I fish with that many roads out I need the boat absolutely locked into position. The bottom of the upper potomac is full of boulders and snags a swaying boat will lead to getting hung up in short order.

A word about using the i-pilot. Keep your anchor pin in the boat. You'll need it.
Spot lock is an awesome feature in open water with a little wind or current to keep you in the general area.
But without wind in a little cove while fishing a brush pile, it is just about useless. It can never figure out what direction it's pointing so is constantly trying to adjust the boat....very annoying and ultimately spooks fish in shallow water.
This is the reason I went low tech and bought the anchor pin. I need the position of the boat I'm fishing (stern or bow) to essentially not move and face the structure I'm fishing.
Thanks for that, Kevin. This is exactly what I've heard from others.

I've heard that the optional heading sensor that looks like a GPS puck helps eliminate that. Do you have a puck on yours?

That being said, I will be keeping my pin in the boat. When we are in really shallow coves, ANY disturbance will send the fish fleeing, or give them lockjaw at the minimum.

Thanks for that, Kevin. This is exactly what I've heard from others.

I've heard that the optional heading sensor that looks like a GPS puck helps eliminate that. Do you have a puck on yours?

That being said, I will be keeping my pin in the boat. When we are in really shallow coves, ANY disturbance will send the fish fleeing, or give them lockjaw at the minimum.
yes....I have the puck. The GPS is in the head of the trolling motor...the puck just tells head which way the boat is pointing...but sitting still, it tells it nothing...so for whatever reason it doesn't like that so will adjust just to make sure it is where it's supposed to be.

On a couple of the smaller boats here in Florida I have seen guys with some heavy transom brackets- one top and one bottom who simply slide a tipped (blunt and round- not really sharp) aluminum pole, probably Sch40 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" I'm guessing, through the brackets down into the bottom.

Nothing could really be simpler: drilled heavy "L" brackets and a tipped cheap extrusion. My local aluminum supplier sells tips for extrusions in this size right off the shelf and can be secured with a bolt.

Only thing that concerns me: if you ever did bend one real good- probably need a way to cut it free as you might not be able to pull it back out. But I have never used one.