Should I add a filter/water separator?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For old engines not designed for ethanol, I think it is an extremely bad idea to use ethanol gas.

I could write about this at length, but it's pointless if you think additives and filters are going to make it all good to use it in a gasoline vintage engine.
I would be interested in the at length writeup, It could sway me to travel extra miles for non ethanol.

I figure ethanol or not, a decent filter is going to be a good addition. Fuel could have crud in it from any step of the way. Ethanol, octane, the word "premium" doesn't stop water from getting in the gas stations tanks, which get stirred up every delivery, hopefully the filter at the pump is effective (Can't be that great look at the volume/speed they have to endure), did your oil mix bottle accumulate a little dust around the lid, it's endless might as well filter the final step.

Agree completely. Not to mention I "purchase" non-ethanol, but what I get depends upon the guy hooking the hose to the underground tank at the station. Any gas can have contaminants. I think my old 2-stroke is less succeptible to some issues than modern engines, but could still be impacted. A filter is just one thing that could make the time on the water more enjoyable.

For old engines not designed for ethanol, I think it is an extremely bad idea to use ethanol gas.

I could write about this at length, but it's pointless if you think additives and filters are going to make it all good to use it in a gasoline vintage engine.

Don't get me wrong I'd rather not use it but I just don't have a practical option for non ethanol gaso. At least my outboard mfg says E10 is OK. But use E15 and the warranty is void. USCG also prohibits use of E15 in recreational vessels.

Not that I'm a fan of corn gas or wanting to start anything political, but in my county here in Central NH I have been mandated to use e10 gas for 25 years. One of my big hobbies is vintage Japanese motorcycles, I have 3 bikes from the 70's and 80's and I've used E10 through them for literally 25 years and not one issue. My 25hp Merc is a '95 and my 150 Merc is a 2004 and neither of them have ever suffered a fuel based issue. I own a vintage snowmobile from '84 and a few much newer ones and they haven't had an issue either. I've always heard the horror stories of ethanol fuel but my experience has been that I have ridden vintage motorcycles probably a quarter million miles with E10 fuel and never had an issue. Is it possible I have just been lucky? I guess, but it was at least 10 years ago that I completely stopped worrying about it. To be fair, when I go north I have options for non-ethanol fuel and I happily buy it, but I don't worry if I can't find it. Just my experience! Now I'll probably have an issue this weekend...

Well it's done, leak tested on muffs and it pulled fuel with no issues. I had some pinhole leaks in the hoses under the motor cowl so went ahead and replaced those, they looked to be original (43 years old).

Gas stations are mandated to buy E10 here, they're allowed to purchase non ethanol 91+ octane but they don't necessarily, the places that are buying 91+ non ethanol probably aren't selling much volume (also an hour+ from me) so it's kind of a crap shoot.

I don't actually have any running issues just some preventative maintenance.

Attachments

• PXL_20230630_150612886.jpg
    PXL_20230630_150612886.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
I figure ethanol or not, a decent filter is going to be a good addition. Fuel could have crud in it from any step of the way. Ethanol, octane, the word "premium" doesn't stop water from getting in the gas stations tanks, which get stirred up every delivery, hopefully the filter at the pump is effective (Can't be that great look at the volume/speed they have to endure), did your oil mix bottle accumulate a little dust around the lid, it's endless might as well filter the final step.
You are correct sir....lots of steps needs followed if you want trouble free performance !! Most just keep going until there is a problem, then wonder who to blame !! NEVER get fuel when the tanker is filling the under ground tanks!! My local farmer owned fuel station has a sign they put out when the tanker pulls in..."wait at least an hour before pumping fuel" but at Kroger, the cars are lined up filling there tanks hike the big tanker is unloading fuel.....?

I have the Racor brand on the f115 but I went with the Amazon one on the f25. A coworker has the Amazon one on a f50 and dad put one on his 115 2 stroke. His needed be drilled out because they forgot to drill a hole in the housing. I've had mine for 3 years with no issues. I like to be able to see any water and drain it through the valve instead of unscrewing it and dumping it which can contaminate the filter.

Attachments

• 20230630_191738.jpg
    20230630_191738.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0
Well it's done, leak tested on muffs and it pulled fuel with no issues. I had some pinhole leaks in the hoses under the motor cowl so went ahead and replaced those, they looked to be original (43 years old).

Gas stations are mandated to buy E10 here, they're allowed to purchase non ethanol 91+ octane but they don't necessarily, the places that are buying 91+ non ethanol probably aren't selling much volume (also an hour+ from me) so it's kind of a crap shoot.

I don't actually have any running issues just some preventative maintenance.
There you go, the original hoses were never replaced, which allowed them to disinigrate and the particles have clogged up the system. The fuel system was never cleaned out when switching to E10 as recomended!! Lack of proper care caused issues but it is easier to blame E10 fuels !!!

It is never wrong or not a good idea to add a filter !! I use a good quality inline with a see thru housing so I can monitor any particles in the fuel.. If they didn't come with, I add inline filters to all my toys !! Cheap insurance !!

There you go, the original hoses were never replaced, which allowed them to disinigrate and the particles have clogged up the system. The fuel system was never cleaned out when switching to E10 as recomended!! Lack of proper care caused issues but it is easier to blame E10 fuels !!!
Hey buddy,

1. I never blamed e10
2. I never had a clogged up system

You seem really excited to create a narrative where people blame all their issues on e10 and I'm not one of those people, I hope your having a good time though.

Hey buddy,

1. I never blamed e10
2. I never had a clogged up system

You seem really excited to create a narrative where people blame all their issues on e10 and I'm not one of those people, I hope your having a good time though.
Sorry, guess I used you as an example, shouldn't have !! Gets frustrating with the many that do blame everything on E10...

I have the Racor brand on the f115 but I went with the Amazon one on the f25. A coworker has the Amazon one on a f50 and dad put one on his 115 2 stroke. His needed be drilled out because they forgot to drill a hole in the housing. I've had mine for 3 years with no issues. I like to be able to see any water and drain it through the valve instead of unscrewing it and dumping it which can contaminate the filter.
From everything I can find online it's the same thread patterns and sealing surfaces so I may buy one of the filters with a bowl on the bottom and keep another filter in the boat in case of an oring leak.