Should I snag this boat before it's too late?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WISHBONE

Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase this boat for $400, it does need work ofcourse no more then what I am currently working on now. The huge difference obviously is the size of the boat. I would be going from a true flat bottom that is 1432 to this one which is a 1448 VHull. Ofcourse I know that it will be 100% more stable then the other boat, I just wanted to here everybody's thoughts thanks.

14 ft Valco Aluminum Fishing Boat

Hre is the Craigslist add, I am wondering why we have had 40 people view my post but nobody has any comment on it, help me out guy's I will have to travel abround 450 miles,thanks.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/1795808437.html

It looks good enough to me. Does the Trailer come with it?
I fished a 16' Star Craft all over Washington and Alaska for years. The Hulls looked similar but my hull was riveted and leaked no matter what I fixed on it. Finally I put in a Bilge pump and went fishing.
The Price seems OK, if you like the boat, then the price is great!

450 miles? That would probably deter me. Theres tons of new(used)boats posted on my states craigslist everyday and I would hold out. Especially if you got something to fish out of in the meantime. Did the guy say he would sell you just the boat for 400 or will he throw anything in with it? Once again the decision is up to you but thats quite a drive for a fixer upper in my opinion.

I don't know what the market is like by you, but aluminum vhulls are a dime a dozen around here. I sure wouldnt be driving that far for that boat unless it was in the 200 dollar range..

Driving that far with an unfamiliar trailer can be a mess too... you better trust that the guy took care of the bearings and tires, or it could be a trip from hell.

I cannot find anything around here in Phoenix for good prices. I would have to travel 250 miles NOT 450. Not to mention you guys are raping people with the prices you are paying for those boats. I am seeing them on here everyday and it is killing me. Let me tell you what the boat comes with.

Boat
Trailer
Fish Finder
New Battery
seats
navigation lights of course
Another transom 40lbthrust motor to go along with the other two I currently own

All for $400.

My friend just purchased a boat EXACTLY like this one 5 weeks ago get this are you ready for it $2500 smackeroos.Of course his did come with a 15 horse motor. Yes you got it, the market here in PHOENIX royally sucks my anus. I would love to take a road trip and grab a sweet deal from what your market has to offer for sure.

If you don't mind driving the 250 miles, and can make it a trip with a different purpose, and just happen to pick up the boat while you are down there, sure. If the sole reason for the trip would be to pick up the boat, and your time/gas money will be considered expenses on top the price of the boat, not so much.

Sometimes I'll go after something that if the time and fuel money is factored in, it wouldn't be worthwhile, but I do it because the drive from here to there is a nice one. I enjoy driving, so that sometimes plays a role on my decision. If I wasn't to go pick such and such up, I never would have made this drive, and wouldn't have found this neat landmark, or got to check out this particular body of water, etc.

Gotta disagree with most everybody. Wishbone, if you don't go get this boat you are gonna be mad the rest of your life. You already decided to do it, you just want somebody to tell ya it's a good idea. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, if it don't work out, everybody else here can say, "Told ya so". BUT, that's just MY opinion.

hossthehermit said:
Gotta disagree with most everybody. Wishbone, if you don't go get this boat you are gonna be mad the rest of your life. You already decided to do it, you just want somebody to tell ya it's a good idea. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, if it don't work out, everybody else here can say, "Told ya so". BUT, that's just MY opinion.

My thoughts exactly.... if u want it go get it! Have a fun trip and enjoy some others things along the way!

In your part of the world 250 miles is a stright shot at 80-90 mph. Go get the boat. If it does not work out, a little spit a little polish and you can flip it and get your money back it seem to me. If what you say is true about the price of boats around your area. But, getting a good deal on a boat ain't rape. Some people have a boat sitting around for yrs and need it out of the yard or they need fast cash or a 100 other things. Tin boats don't rot, fade or warp. They can be brought back to life after years and years of neglect. Dat's why we luv em.

tccanoe said:
In your part of the world 250 miles is a stright shot at 80-90 mph. Go get the boat. If it does not work out, a little spit a little polish and you can flip it and get your money back it seem to me. If what you say is true about the price of boats around your area. But, getting a good deal on a boat ain't rape. Some people have a boat sitting around for yrs and need it out of the yard or they need fast cash or a 100 other things. Tin boats don't rot, fade or warp. They can be brought back to life after years and years of neglect. Dat's why we luv em.

I didn't mean to offend anybody, and I agree with you 100%. These boats have been lurking around their house or backyard for years. Things in Phoenix do not stay in one place for very long. Actually if you were in the City and not moving you would be painted. But I am definately excited to go take the trip and pick it up. I will show a lot of photo's of the new Boat once I return from the trip. Thanks gang.

Just looking at that boat brings back lots of good memories. I grew up fishing out of a 1986 12’ Valco. That was one of the best aluminum boats I’ve been in. My dad and I used it on small lakes for trout and the Puget Sound for crabbing. That Valco was very stable. When I sold it and bought my 16’ Lund, my wife complained that the new boat rocked too much. If I could have found a 16’ Valco at the time I would have jumped on it.

And, for the price… gather what you want out of the package and then sell the rest individually. You might knock that $400 down a bit and make it a very economical decision.

Thank you because I have not seen these boats but from what info I am gathering it sounds like they are great. I am soooo excited that I am finally going to have a boat the family can use and be safe in. The other project I will complete the minimal things and put it up for sale.

WISHBONE said:
I cannot find anything around here in Phoenix for good prices. I would have to travel 250 miles NOT 450. Not to mention you guys are raping people with the prices you are paying for those boats. I am seeing them on here everyday and it is killing me. Let me tell you what the boat comes with.

Boat
Trailer
Fish Finder
New Battery
seats
navigation lights of course
Another transom 40lbthrust motor to go along with the other two I currently own

All for $400.

My friend just purchased a boat EXACTLY like this one 5 weeks ago get this are you ready for it $2500 smackeroos.Of course his did come with a 15 horse motor. Yes you got it, the market here in PHOENIX royally sucks my anus. I would love to take a road trip and grab a sweet deal from what your market has to offer for sure.

Looks like you didn't need anyones advice then, did you?

Make sure before you leave that any pictures are current and accurate.

I got burned traveling about 60 miles (one way) for a boat I bought on ebay based on nice pictures and telephone discussions with the owner...I was high bidder and when i got there it literally did not look like the same boat....turns out the father was selling it for his son....had posted old pictures when it actually looked good...I was told before I left if I did not like the boat I did not have to buy it (buy the son who did not know the father posted old pictures)....I drove home without "my" boat....

Outdoorsman..

Thanks everybody, I can see both sides of the story and can understand where some are coming from with the travel. I travel over 35 miles one way just to go to work which is a fraction of what I was doing two years ago for the Fire Department. Check this out, I drove my Ford F350 Dually with the 7.3 liter engine 180 miles one way to go to work at the FD. My family and I moved up from Yuma to Phoenix where the rest of the family is, so I commuted to work like this for about 2 years.

Long story short, I truly enjoy driving, actually if I could take my Corvette I would, but the hell if I am going to tow anything with my car. I was not concerned with the drive, I was wanting to gather better info about the boat itself and the stuff that comes with it. So I apologize if people feel I did not take their advice. I could of explained a little better what type of advice I was looking for.

I will definately be taking lots of pictures of this build just as I have with my first one. Lets go fishin

Latest posts