Outfitting new boat with electronics for river fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ror105

Reaction score
So, I have done a good bit of research. A lot. I understand what the different frequencies do, how they work, why they do what they do, etc. But I am trying to take a minimalist approach to the hardware (not afraid to buy once cry once) and features that I am going to use on this new G3 18CCJ DLX that I am buying. It is a jet boat and in buying that, most of my fishing will be on the river. So, any of the newer advanced features, such as Livescope, Mega-Live, FFS, is not something I see myself doing. I rarely go to lakes, but don't want to restrict myself or limit the possibility of using it in the future. I plan to hit as many new locations through our travels and feel like locating the fish with advanced tools isn't outside of the bag of tricks I'll resort too. I never keep them, but sure love catching them and one of the things I have struggled with recently is getting on them.

My hangup is the trolling motor has either a US2 transducer and I like the idea of no other hull penetrations, additional wiring.....but, I wonder precisely how well a Garmin 93SV or something similar will work in conjunction with that xdcr. I can purchase it with one of the GT54 at a really decent price. So, if I had to, because features on the 93SV are restricted to the point of being useless I could mount that off the bow and keep that 93 at the console and determine another CHO path for on the bow when fishing from the front.

I think if I was lake fishing in depth where I can benefit from larger cones and better imaging, I would go the whole networked boat route. I think those features are going to not be very effective on the 5 to 8' deep rivers I fish.

Can anyone tell me where I am wrong or misinformed? Trying to get all of this figured out in the next couple days and just can't convince myself that I have come to a good choice. Appreciate any help.

No matter what you decide/ buy , it will be outdated next year ! So buy what you think is best for your type of use and consider updating in a couple/ few years.

Down imaging makes sense on a trolling motor transducer, side imaging not so much. Every time the TM moves it messes up the side imaging. You can get US2, DI or even SI transducers on some trolling motors.

I do think that you might find some benefit from side imaging for finding structure. If you don’t want to penetrate the hull you could always rig up a side mount and remove the transducer from the water beflow moving at higher speeds.

When scouting new water I typically run both down imaging and side imaging at at the same time. So maybe keep the old 93SV if you already own one and use with the TM transducer (if it’s supported) and pick up a seperate side imaging unit.

My newest old boat came with a 93SV and the screen resolution is so poor that it’s really hard to read. It reads depth well at speed but, I would not recommend buying one at this point.

Last edited:
I would do some additional research, the cone size is not the only item to be concerned with.

Research and see if it is compatible with side scan and down image.

Pretty sure he transducer is only 2D (83khz & 200khz), then any modern FF will be an extremely overpriced addition.

Attached garmin 73sv freq specs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318_093925_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_093925_Samsung Notes.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just an FYI with Garmin you cannot use 3rd party maps. I dumped them a long time ago.

I have a Humminbird. I use Navionics (owned by Garmin) instead of Lakemaster (owned by Humminbird's parent company). Like you say, if I had a Garmin, I wouldn't be able to use Lakemaster.

I think Navionics charts are pretty good. If the Garmin otherwise had features I wanted, I'm not sure using Navionics would be a deal breaker for me.

As an avid river fisherman, and the last two years of running a jet, here are my opinions:

- SI and DI: I only use that during late fall/winter/early spring, in water that is 15-30' deep, to find trees and obstructions that smallies will be wintering behind. I set waypoints and just use them going forward.

- 2D: is good at those same depths for fishing walleyes, watching the jig, and the strike. Sometime for cat fishing.

- At the console: You want the biggest screen that you can tolerate. You want a split screen to see 2D depth and GPS tracking through shallow sections.

- At the bow: 2D only and depth screen only with large digit display. Mainly used in murky water so we don't ground the boat, and see water temp. Warmer water spots in early spring and late fall are important.

- I have Navionics maps, but not used on the river. The only maps for the Susky in our area are user generated ones which I found were way off, even relative to themselves. I doubt there are any formal map surveys of the Susky/Juanita (sp?), where you fish. Then there is the water level diffence and changes after every high water.

- The one feature I wish we had, was the ability to use sat map overlay on the GPS screen. Mainly to determine where the deeper channels are for going thru new water. I have considered using an old iPad with GPS, but for now just study our smart phones, before proceeding.

- I have no plans to add Live Scope or equivelent. I do know people that use it on the river. Mainly in those deeper sections, though.

Hope this helps you decide on the choices you have.

Just an FYI with Garmin you cannot use 3rd party maps. I dumped them a long time ago.
My Garmin Striker 4 doesn't come/use maps. Don't need them for an inexpensive 2D sonar.

But my Garmin Echo Map has this statement on maps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240318_093810_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240318_093810_Samsung Notes.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure what gauges come with the DLX model, but ours only had fuel level gauge which is not accurate. I couldn't stand not having engine info at the helm. It was too costly to hook-up a NMEA2K network to my old Humminbird, so got a SIMRAD: SIMRAD IS35 You may want to make sure your helm unit can easily hook-up to a NMEA2K.

Gents,
All good stuff and really appreciate it.

That transducer is an 83/200 and tells me it is sufficient for at the bow, but that will only be good for depth indication if the TM is out.

FuzzyGrubb, appreciate your perspective on the river and that is the kind of info I was hoping to get. What makes sense for fishing rivers versus what is the newest or most capable.

Fuel and tach is all it has for gauges. Super interested in having the NMEA data on the engine. I am typically good on maintenance, but my choice in manufacturers of our cars, motorcycles, etc. is based on total reliability. I'll not take anything for granted with the motor on this boat.

It's roughly $100 for the nmea2k kit for garmin to yamaha. Garmin owns navionics but sounds like the rivers you fish are much like the upper potomac I fish where as no maps cover the area. I have found some usefull info from other users data such as hazards and you can see where others tend to run through a section. I like sidescan on the river but it's only usefull in that 2-10mph range. Last couple boats I've had all had a garmin of some sort and I've really grown to like them. Currently have a 106sv paired with a gt56 transducer and have been thrilled with the combo.

I've always been a Lowrance guy, and used them very successfully.
Then Garmin came out with the 94SV for $499 on black friday sale quite a number of years ago.
That first one (Chirp) didn't have the greatest resolution, and I wasn't very happy with it. I was used to Lowrance, which was super sharp.

The side-scan wasn't great, but the downscan, regular sonar and the charts were excellent, so I kept it.

Eventually, I watched some videos about how to adjust the settings, and I liked it more and more.

Then I bought the next series of 93SV for $599 on black friday and it was MUCH better in all areas. Last year, I added Livescope to the picture, and I LOVE that setup. Doesn't make the fish bite, but is sure is interesting to go to an area and visually see what fish are there.

This past winter, I sold my original 94SV for $350 on FB and along with some gift cards, I purchased a Garmin Echomap Ultra106, with no money out of pocket. This unit is another step ahead. It's only 1" bigger, but the resolution is excellent, everything is clear and easy to use/read, and it has very detailed freshwater AND saltwater maps. Also, it has 2 network ports, so I can connect Livescope AND my newest 93SV simply, with no network. With this setup, from either unit, I can look at ANY screen using ANY transducer, which is really sweet.

So I've slowly been converted to Garmin, mainly due to low prices on black Friday sales. Would I trade it for Lowrance equipment with the same capabilities? Sure, if the price is right, or if it was better. But so far, I haven't seen anything as good for these prices, new or used.

FWIW: I found small diameter plastic tubing the best to snake the cable from transom to console. There was a couple ponts where it just wants t get stuck. I also leave a nylon cord just incase need to add something else in the future. Ours has transducer cable, external GPS cable, and the NMEA2K cable, which is rather thick.

Great input folks and exactly what I am hoping to understand from your combined experiences.

Here is what I am settling into:

Garmin-ECHOMAP-Ultra-126sv-GN-with-GT56 Transducer at the console, xdcr mounted on the transom

Garmin 106SV display at the bow running through the US2 on the MK Ultrex. Expect water temp and 2D only up there. If I feel like I need it in the future, would mount xdcr for Livescope off bow at a later date.

Plan to connect each other via a network cable and pipe in NMEA information from the Yamaha to the 126 at the console.

All will be run from an Ionic 12V100Ah battery under the console which will separate all electronics from the lead acid battery for the starter motor for the outboard.

Trolling motor will operate from another Ionic, which is 36V50Ah.

Ionic 36/12V charger to recharge both mounted under console.

Plan to add additional lights (LED rope underneath the edge of the gunnel) and power those from the starter battery to again avoid EMI and any other interference to the graphs.

Anyone see any issues with what I am proposing and again, newb here, am I missing something altogether?

Thanks folks!

Plan to connect each other via a network cable and pipe in NMEA information from the Yamaha to the 126 at the console.
Pretty sure these units can be connected to each other over wifi and share data.
May save some additional wiring.

The LED lights, some states reserve blue for law enforcement and they can not interfere/be confused with navigation lights, check your local requirements.

Great input folks and exactly what I am hoping to understand from your combined experiences.

Garmin-ECHOMAP-Ultra-126sv-GN-with-GT56 Transducer at the console... (y)

Garmin 106SV display at the bow running through the US2 on the MK Ultrex... (y) Expect water temp and 2D only up there. If I feel like I need it in the future, would mount xdcr for Livescope off bow at a later date.

Plan to connect each other via a network cable and pipe in NMEA information from the Yamaha... (y) (y) (y) to the 126 at the console.

All will be run from an Ionic 12V100Ah battery under the console... (y) which will separate all electronics from the lead acid battery for the starter motor for the outboard.

Trolling motor will operate from another Ionic, which is 36V50Ah. -Q- Is this cheaper than (3)100AH 12V? Three 100AH for the TimeUSB LiFeP04 were much less than the single 36V battery, but space is another issue

Speaking of TimeUSB batteries- after a great deal of research, I got three of them, ($192- Timeusb-12V100Ah) and they have been excellent. The new, smaller frame batteries are $209 (TimeUSB GR2412V100Ah) and may be worth the extra, if you have limited space.

I just looked up the Iconics on LithiumHub.com, and they are very expensive. You can pay for all of your electronics with the difference in price.

Not knocking Iconic or any other brand, just sharing thoughts. I think your proposed setup is going to serve you well.

Last edited:

Garmin-ECHOMAP-Ultra-126sv-GN-with-GT56 Transducer at the console, xdcr mounted on the transom

Garmin 106SV display at the bow running through the US2 on the MK Ultrex. Expect water temp and 2D only up there. If I feel like I need it in the future, would mount xdcr for Livescope off bow at a later date.

All will be run from an Ionic 12V100Ah battery under the console which will separate all electronics from the lead acid battery for the starter motor for the outboard.

Trolling motor will operate from another Ionic, which is 36V50Ah.

Ionic 36/12V charger to recharge both mounted under console.

Plan to add additional lights (LED rope underneath the edge of the gunnel) and power those from the starter battery to again avoid EMI and any other interference to the graphs.

Anyone see any issues with what I am proposing and again, newb here, am I missing something altogether?

Thanks folks!
You'll need an adapter to use the 106sv with the minn kota and it will limit frequencies and features. If this is stuff you don't have yet consider a garmin trolling motor it comes with a gt54 built in and will autopilot tracks and way points with the 106sv

HEY... the difference in battery prices could pay to upgrade to a Garmin trolling motor. I would definitely consider that. Those motors are nice.

Either way, it will be a great setup. I decided to go with a Livescope setup on mine, using a stick mount, and it's fun. The kids LOVE it, especially now that I have the two screens networked. Little monsters like to hog the stick, though!

I think you will love the Garmin network. 10" and 12" screens, GT56 on the transom, maybe Livescope up front, with both screens sharing data, and maybe even a Garmin TM - and you will have an awesome setup that anyone should be thrilled to have.