Slow Activity in this section

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ebcbob said:
I have no problem with bigger boats and motors if thats what the Tinboat wants to do. My thought, first, we of the https://www.electric-bass.org type would not participate, second, 16's and motors already have a zillion options for competitive fishing. I personally would like to see something unique, for the little guy, that can do it on the low cost basis.

Its not about options to fish, its about fishing with other tinboats members. I don't think anyone is looking to make money, show their fishing skills, or anything like that right now. Its more about getting together and having a good time.

I say for now let's pursue, both, powered ,bigger boats and smaller, electric only. As for 100# thrust electrics verses 30# ..... to make it fair, we at (https://www.electric-bass.org) allow only 24 volt max.(per motor) and only two trolling motors. What pretty much everyone does is a foot control on the bow and a smaller transom on the back. The back trolling motor is primarily supplemental. used for running and boat positioning. It works out very well. By holding it to 24 volt max. no one seem to gain any significant advantage.

I see where we are going with this thread. The small boats with electric trolling motors will remain on the bottom of bass fishing tournaments. Gas motors rule the tournament scene. As for me, I am content to participate in the TinBoats forums, but as for tournaments, ralleys, or whatever, I have no interest in fishing out of a 14' electric powered boat against outboards. Keep'er Wet, ebcdave

I would like to pursue an electric only circuit myself. There are a ton of clubs and organizations that use motor. This one would be for the rest of the guys that don't have or want to use a gas motor.

Sort of a "Green" Club. :LOL2:

As I said in the other posts, I want to see an electric only event. I dont know what anybody said to get the ECB boys in a wad?
The ECB is not the only standard for what is or is not a jon boat club. The other clubs in the jon boat sport have other rules and guidelines they go by and should be considered also.

Please dont get offended at the start of this and pull out before it even gets off the ground. Lets get imput from all parties before we/you/ whoever decide on anything.

Thanks, riverrat

I think we are talking about a few different things here.

1, I think we are talking about friendly get togethers! (DyeGuy1212)
2, I think we are talking about one off Tournaments (Riverrat)
3, I think we are talking about an electric only Circuit tournament type trail (like a BASS, or FLW) for Electric Only. Ideally model it after the ABA organization.

That is where the confusion lies In My Opinion. Lets not get worked up over this. :D

I'm not necessarily saying it should just be a friendly get together, I'm just saying if its going to be a tinboats tournament, tinboats members shouldn't be excluded. I understand whats going on, I just fail to see why tinboats should pursue an electric only route. If its going to be a tinboats tournament, it seems like all tinboats members should be able to get involved.

If you want to start an organization for electric only boats, it should be said outright. I guess where I'm getting hung up is the fact that this is not an electric only site. I realize that guys with outboards have more fishing opportunities, but it reality its not that much better than electric only. Fishing with a 40 HP vs a guy with a 225 HP Ranger isnt much better than electric vs a small outboard on a tinny. Like I said before, I'm all for ruling out manufactured bass boats.

What it boils down to, is that if its a tinboats tournament, tinboats members shouldn't be excluded. If its going to be an electric only tournament, it should be outrightly said. EBC obviously has a head start on this type of tourney, and I think its a really great idea. I'm not against electric only tournaments at all, I just don't think its fair to start this out by discluding a large portion of our members from the get-go.

I totally see and get what you saying also dyeguy1212.
There are so many good ideas here and directions to try and get to, that it gets a a little overwhelming. :D

Maybe one day when/if this qets huge that there might be multiple divisions (electric only, Gas) but for now we need to come up with common ground.

I agree that every local club should make up their own rules. But if they want to fish in a regional or national event under the league we are trying to form, there will have to be common agreeable grounds.

Again this is so in its infancy stage..................

The bigger issue I see is getting more jon boat clubs involved. We can put a big "classic" on the table, but with no huge member participation we will never get the big boys to show interest in the little guy.

First of all, I (and I think I can speak for ebcdave) am not up in a wad about anything. I think Tinboat is a great idea. As for the tournament discussion going on here....it is a fact....electric only.....cannot compete with gas motors and (electric-bass.org) won't compete.....but do not let that stop anybody from pursuing a national tournament. Jim, start a poll to see what interest there is in electric only verses gas motors. Perhaps there is enough interest in both. The interesting thing with the EBC, alot of us have Big Bass Boats (bbb) (I actually sold my Stratos/150 Mariner because I wasn't using it anymore) and fixed up 14 footers and are having more fun.

No need to get defensive.. This is just in the idea stage.. so it really doesn't matter :lol:

Like I've said, I think both electric and gas should be included, on separate days. I wasn't trying to make an argument that electric boats can compete with gas, I'm just saying gas shouldn't be discluded because someone showed up and said thats how it should be.

edit: Or why not have them compete at the same time, but be counted as different tournaments? So tinboats guys can get together, compete at the same time, but electric guys don't have to keep up with outboard guys.

Or, back to back days.

Lets keep an open mind about this. I haven't checked out every boat here, but I think its more than fair to say that there are a large number or people with outboards here. If this were an electric only site, I'd agree that the tournament should be electric only. But I just don't think that ruling out tinboats members is a good way to start tinboats tournaments.

I am not sure what I mean at this point #-o .
I would like to see all boats, electric and gas to get together. I dont think we need a whole bunch of stupid rules. Let the gas guys fish together and the electric guys fish together.

I would like to see it done at a location where maybe Saturday evening we can all get together and meet. I dont care what boat you got, big or small, fast or slow, cheap or expensive, in a club or not, we all are jon boaters. Lets just keep it simple.
First, a location.

Second, have 2 classes:
1.- Gas
2.- Electric

Pretty self explanatory there.

An entry fee, a set time to fish, a creel size and limit, and a rule that says no cheating and your set!!!

riverrat said:
I am not sure what I mean at this point #-o .
I would like to see all boats, electric and gas to get together. I dont think we need a whole bunch of stupid rules. Let the gas guys fish together and the electric guys fish together.

I would like to see it done at a location where maybe Saturday evening we can all get together and meet. I dont care what boat you got, big or small, fast or slow, cheap or expensive, in a club or not, we all are jon boaters. Lets just keep it simple.
First, a location.

Second, have 2 classes:
1.- Gas
2.- Electric

Pretty self explanatory there.

An entry fee, a set time to fish, a creel size and limit, and a rule that says no cheating and your set!!!

If only people would let it be this simple! =D>

I've been keeping quiet through most of this - but here is what I've got through all the posts.

1 - some people are referring to just tinboaters (and I mean members of Tinboats.com) to get together for a little friendly competition. This is pretty much like the Tinboats Rally Jim has put together for the last 2 years (I think). Last year was at Dale Hollow.

2 - some people are talking about setting up an actual Tin Boat Federation - basically set up just like the BASS circuit. You have qualifiers from each club who then meet for an actual Tin Boat championship. The more and more I hear about this, the more and more I see our club not joining just because of all the dumb rules people come up with.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right. But there should be 3 basic rules: 1 - aerated livewell, 2 - be on time (start and finish), 3 - have a tin boat. If the lake allows motors, use them... if you don't have one, you have a better chance of winning because the guys with motors will move more than you (more moving = less time fishing). Who cares about honey holes. A honey hole is nothing but one or two spots you have fished and caught fish over and over again. Get away from your honey holes, and try something else. You'd be surprised how many "unfished" spots actually hold fish. You think "big fish" get big by sitting in a honey hole? I don't think so. People need to realize a bigger boat or a bigger motor doesn't catch a fish. It's what you have at the end of your line and the mental preparedness you have that puts fish in the boat.

Either way... everybody has their opinions they think are the "only" way to do it, and that's fine. Then there are others who just want to get together, fish and have a good time.

=D>

I just wanted to applaud everyone on their ideas. It seems like the stronger opinions and ideas people have, the better chance to get this up and going.

I tried starting a club here in CT with no luck, but if more people did it elsewhere, it would catch on like the PLAGUE :lol:

I was going to stay out of this... and still basically am, but Russ put to words what I was thinking better than I could have.

+1 to the below comments. That's all I'm going to say. Heck, I don't even have time to fish the tournaments already available to me.

russ010 said:
If only people would let it be this simple! =D>

I've been keeping quiet through most of this - but here is what I've got through all the posts.

1 - some people are referring to just tinboaters (and I mean members of Tinboats.com) to get together for a little friendly competition. This is pretty much like the Tinboats Rally Jim has put together for the last 2 years (I think). Last year was at Dale Hollow.

2 - some people are talking about setting up an actual Tin Boat Federation - basically set up just like the BASS circuit. You have qualifiers from each club who then meet for an actual Tin Boat championship. The more and more I hear about this, the more and more I see our club not joining just because of all the dumb rules people come up with.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right. But there should be 3 basic rules: 1 - aerated livewell, 2 - be on time (start and finish), 3 - have a tin boat. If the lake allows motors, use them... if you don't have one, you have a better chance of winning because the guys with motors will move more than you (more moving = less time fishing). Who cares about honey holes. A honey hole is nothing but one or two spots you have fished and caught fish over and over again. Get away from your honey holes, and try something else. You'd be surprised how many "unfished" spots actually hold fish. You think "big fish" get big by sitting in a honey hole? I don't think so. People need to realize a bigger boat or a bigger motor doesn't catch a fish. It's what you have at the end of your line and the mental preparedness you have that puts fish in the boat.

Either way... everybody has their opinions they think are the "only" way to do it, and that's fine. Then there are others who just want to get together, fish and have a good time.

The simpler the better! Personally, I think this whole mock-BASS stuff is a load of you know what. We've yet to organize any successful tournaments, and then we get suggestions that we should start our tournaments by not allowing half of our members to even participate?

I've been trying to keep my cool, but I just end up showing my *** every time :lol: The problem is, I've been waiting too long for some tinboats tournies to get started around here, and the first serious talks that come up involve people who have no idea what this site stands for. We are not an electric only site. I know I know, "but Marc, you have an outboard! No wonder you're running your mouth!"

It wouldn't matter if I were like any of the other electric only guys here, I think EVERYONE should be involved. Its going to be hard enough to get the support to have a worthwhile tournament, so I fail to see how blocking out a huge chunk of our members is the way to do it.