Slow theft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CedarRiverScooter said:
I am considering a remote security camera for our acreage (no internet at all). Does anyone know how I could broadcast a signal? Convenience store free wi-fi is 3 miles away, not sure that is legal thought. I have heard of Amateur radio packet transmitter. Is that the way to go?

Had my stored truck stolen from this property already.

Maybe a camera would get the license plate of the thieves.

Google WIFI in an RV.
Some of this people have figured it out.

Got thinking about this yesterday while working on refurbing my 16 ft Starcraft. (I finished the trailer, now back to the boat) How about.....use an old ball with the threads cut off....or a billiards ball or similar.....to fill the socket on the trailer hitch to prevent it being set over a thief's hitch ball, then use a Master trailer lock ?? (https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Trailer-Purpose-Padlocks/dp/B004TGTUGG/ref=asc_df_B004TGTUGG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309778504998&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=911031910796061311&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012338&hvtargid=pla-569591301264&psc=1)

The Master lock (I have 2, keyed alike) is hardened and armored, with shields to prevent bolt cutters getting in to the pin and is about as secure as you can get with reasonable equipment. You could put washers in the gap to prevent a cutoff wheel getting down in to the pin without major effort.

Quick, cheap and easy....and about as secure as you can get.

I do the old ball in my trailers coupling.
I'm thinking of modifying the safety chains with towing rated quick links so I can remove the chains. That way criminals can't use them to drag my trailers away

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I'm thinking of modifying the safety chains with towing rated quick links so I can remove the chains. That way criminals can't use them to drag my trailers away

Good Deal. Did you cut the threaded portion off the old ball ?? Thieves could set it on a hitch and put a new nut on it.

gogittum said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:

Good Deal. Did you cut the threaded portion off the old ball ?? Thieves could set it on a hitch and put a new nut on it.
One of them I did it had been cross threated a no longer usable the other had internal threads. My nephew took it to his welding class he filled it with scrap then used a stick welder to cap it

gogittum said:
Got thinking about this yesterday while working on refurbing my 16 ft Starcraft. (I finished the trailer, now back to the boat) How about.....use an old ball with the threads cut off....or a billiards ball or similar.....to fill the socket on the trailer hitch to prevent it being set over a thief's hitch ball, then use a Master trailer lock ?? (https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Trailer-Purpose-Padlocks/dp/B004TGTUGG/ref=asc_df_B004TGTUGG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309778504998&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=911031910796061311&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012338&hvtargid=pla-569591301264&psc=1)

The Master lock (I have 2, keyed alike) is hardened and armored, with shields to prevent bolt cutters getting in to the pin and is about as secure as you can get with reasonable equipment. You could put washers in the gap to prevent a cutoff wheel getting down in to the pin without major effort.

Quick, cheap and easy....and about as secure as you can get.

The problem there is that you can disassemble the ball latch from the bottom in 30 seconds with a pair of pliers, drop the ball, and away you go. Most thieves probably aren't that smart, but you never know. You could solve it by welding a plate or something onto the ball so the nut that holds the latch together is inaccessible.

Some of you are teaching would be thieves, just how easy it is to steal a boat or trailer. Insurance is about the best way for hopefully replacing what was stolen.
But even Insurance won't lessen the frustration and disappointment. It's more of a fear of the unknown, as in, will everything be replaced?

Vader809 said:
Some of you are teaching would be thieves, just how easy it is to steal a boat or trailer. Insurance is about the best way for hopefully replacing what was stolen.
But even Insurance won't lessen the frustration and disappointment. It's more of a fear of the unknown, as in, will everything be replaced?

Yup, but can't live in fear.

I just read about GPS trackers that can be installed in boats, RVs, etc. The one I took a quick peek at had a monthly fee which I thought was kind of high. Might be others with more reasonable subscription costs.

OK, I'm really not obsessing about this. But, I was on an RV forum and just read what I think could be a very creative approach.

The concept is something like this. Hide your trailer plug up under the tongue somewhere it cannot be seen. Then run a dummy plug that will look like the trailer connector. From here you have two options:

Option 1) Short all the wires in the dummy plug together. When the thief plugs in it will short out their lights and they will be pulled over by the PD.

Option 2) Send 120v to the dummy plug. When the thief plugs in his vehicle wiring will be toast. I like this option!

LDUBS said:
I just read about GPS trackers that can be installed in boats, RVs, etc. The one I took a quick peek at had a monthly fee which I thought was kind of high. Might be others with more reasonable subscription costs.

I dug in my heels at pet trackers partly because of subscriptions, but mostly because most of the areas I hiked in the SW New Mexico mountains were out of range of cellular signals. Much of my hiking is in very remote areas and tho' my girl is good about staying near, sometimes she follows her nose.....and I felt some such thing would be a good idea.

Then I heard about one called "Findster" that advertised no cell subscription required, etc., etc. Checked into it more and they have a dedicated radio frequency that the collar unit uses to communicate with the human's unit, which also communicates via Bluetooth to your cell phone. Sounded good, so I bought one.

It's a European unit, sent from Portugal, very well made with good visual appeal.

I'm very pleased. It has a bit of a learning curve - the instructions are poor - but the map on the phone shows exactly where she is and it has a setting that will take you directly to your pet, straight line. Battery life seems to be pretty good, but there's no actual display of charge or time remaining.

Range is limited - I think 1 mile, but don't quote me.....and it's a mile anywhere. Doesn't depend on cell coverage. Something like this may work for other objects as well - such as boats. The 2 units are very small, about an inch square. I've had mine for a year, so it's likely others are available now.

CedarRiverScooter said:
I have heard of Amateur radio packet transmitter. Is that the way to go?

Packet radio would be way to slow to transmit video. A still picture takes about 2 minutes to transmit (slow scan tv is actually just pictures, not video). Also the regulations surrounding amateur radio you can’t transmit longer than 10 minutes and your call sign has to be transmitted at 10 minute interval.

A department store WiFi extender won’t have the three mile range you need. I set up a mesh network to work remote radio operations and with a very high quality networking station I can only get coverage up to about 1/4 mile with 6 antenna repeaters.

How about a cellular device hooked up to a raspberry pi?

Slimcowboy1978 said:
CedarRiverScooter said:
I have heard of Amateur radio packet transmitter. Is that the way to go?

Packet radio would be way to slow to transmit video. A still picture takes about 2 minutes to transmit (slow scan tv is actually just pictures, not video). Also the regulations surrounding amateur radio you can’t transmit longer than 10 minutes and your call sign has to be transmitted at 10 minute interval.

A department store WiFi extender won’t have the three mile range you need. I set up a mesh network to work remote radio operations and with a very high quality networking station I can only get coverage up to about 1/4 mile with 6 antenna repeaters.

How about a cellular device hooked up to a raspberry pi?

I'm pretty backwards when it comes to this stuff. I know I get a pic/video on my cell phone if someone comes to my front door. All I need is wifi or cellular wherever I happen to be. Seems the same could be done with a camera pointed at my boat.

What about putting a tile someplace a thief wouldn't find (top of the Trolling motor or Tucked under the console). The tile uses Bluetooth from many phones to report where it's location is. If the boat is parked or used anywhere near a cell phone, it should show up.

https://www.thetileapp.com

kofkorn said:
What about putting a tile someplace a thief wouldn't find (top of the Trolling motor or Tucked under the console). The tile uses Bluetooth from many phones to report where it's location is. If the boat is parked or used anywhere near a cell phone, it should show up.

https://www.thetileapp.com

I tried a Tile at one point and was very disappointed with it's performance. It's dodgy at best.

Vader809 said:

How many boat thieves are there on this forum though?

Apple has one now that looks interesting.

We are an apple family...wife and 3 kids so sharing of apps and music, tracking, and what not works for us.

https://www.apple.com/airtag/