Solid state marine battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but.....a "solid state" marine battery? Throughout modern history, the term "solid state" meant a transistorized circuit, with no moving components. (i.e.; point-type transistors)
Now, I'll concede that a battery of any type has "no moving components", but there is a chemical reaction in order to generate both voltage and current. So, I can only presume that a "solid state" battery has NO chemical reaction going on to generate the power it's supposed to produce. That leaves only one alternative in my shoulder-mounted vacuum chamber. It must be a capacitor bank that stores a charge, and releases it on demand. With a calculated resistive circuit, one can slow the discharge rate, but once it's depleted, there isn't any more.....it MUST be charged again from an outside source. Usually, a capacitor is a one-shot deal. I suppose, with a carefully calculated resistive circuit, one might be able to stretch it tow 2, or even 3 attempts at starting, but I think that would be the maximum limit.
In that, it is similar to a lead-acid battery, but that's where the similarities end.

I can just imagine the issues one might have out on the water, say with water-contaminated gas. It wouldn't be enough to get a fresh gas supply, but you'd also have to "charge" the cap bank in order to attempt another start cycle.

Personally, I smell a marketing scam.

Roger

Should have said...what is a solid state battery ?
A solid-state battery is an electrical battery that uses a solid electrolyte for ionic conductions between the electrodes, instead of the liquid or gel polymer electrolytes found in conventional batteries. Solid-state batteries theoretically offer much higher energy density than the typical lithium-ion or lithium polymer batteries.

I checked out the website and they are a little shot on details. Looks like a fly by night operation to me. In this case I’d take the term “solid state” as a marketing buzzword more than a battery technology.

I checked out the website and they are a little shot on details. Looks like a fly by night operation to me. In this case I’d take the term “solid state” as a marketing buzzword more than a battery technology.
I see they have only been in business since 2023. I would have to give them more time to get a foothold before I could trust them myself.

I'm not an "early adopter" on this kind of stuff. Like all other new technologies, I'll let the newness wear off, pros and cons become evident, and the price come down (way down) before I jump in. Besides, maybe my two year old LiFePO4 will need replacing by then.

The description on the batteries seems to indicate that these batteries can serve as both the trolling motor battery and as the cranking battery. I'd like that if it's true.

Solid state (solid electrolyte) batteries are a thing and being worked on aggressively by transport companies as they'll be a huge leap in range for cars, etc. But I'd be wary until you see them in common use in other commercial applications. As others have said, let somebody else work the bugs out. Once they show up in 100,000 cars or 100,000,000 smartphones--then I'd dive in.

I'm sorry, but.....a "solid state" marine battery? Throughout modern history, the term "solid state" meant a transistorized circuit, with no moving components. (i.e.; point-type transistors)

Personally, I smell a marketing scam.

Roger
Water has 3 states solid, liquid, and gas and it has nothing to do with transistors.

Water in a solid state is called ice or you could call it solid state water.

Solid state batteries are no scam, they have been in work for years.

Last edited:
There are car companies working on these types of batteries. All still in prototype phase. Nothing ready for production. I'd be surprised that a company would come out with it first, in a marine application.

The promise is longer range, more dense, and faster charging. I'm sure it has to go thru allot of safety tests, as well.

There are car companies working on these types of batteries. All still in prototype phase. Nothing ready for production. I'd be surprised that a company would come out with it first, in a marine application.

The promise is longer range, more dense, and faster charging. I'm sure it has to go thru allot of safety tests, as well.
They claim to be ABYC certified and UL1642.

That's kinda what surprised me when reading about them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241021_153129_Firefox~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20241021_153129_Firefox~2.jpg
    65.7 KB
They claim to be ABYC certified and UL1642.

That's kinda what surprised me when reading about them.

A quick internet search showed several companies are claiming this technology. Not proprietary or patented?

Also, at least one had prices. I may be dust before they become affordable.

I just bought a LiFePO4 and thought that was cutting edge.

Latest posts