Spare Tire

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Getting ready to order a spare tire for my trailer, and the cheapest I have come across is one from Harbor Freight. But the one from Harbor Freight is size 4.80/4.00-12 w/4 lug wheel. The tire size I currently have on my trailer is 4.80-12 on a 4-lug wheel. What is the difference? Will the one from Harbor freight work if I blow a tire and need a spare? Would only keep it on until I get a new tire mounted back on the factory rim.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-spare-tire-and-rim-44144.html

The "/4.00" is the width. There are wider 12" tires/wheels available, but this one is the standard size on most trailers with 12" wheels.

If all you real need is new tires check Tucker Tire on ebay, 2 480/12 load range "C" are around $58 plus shipping. Load range "B" are cheaper.
They may have wheel tire combo's too.

Thanks for all the help. I'm just looking for a tire/wheel combo that I can throw on my trailer if I ever blow a tire. I want to make sure the size from Harbor Freight will work. The /4.00 is what has me thrown off.

same size tire. I had a hard time just finding a 5.3-12 locally even the trailer guy said he couldn't get them without the rim, I called BS. so I kept running my tires. I will have to replace them next year due to dry rot.

It's not like putting a tire on a vehicle where you're dealing with spider gears and a limited slip/possi track differential where things get damaged if the 2 aren't the same size. You can run a 12" tire on one side and a 13" on the other side as long as it doesn't rub the fenders etc, and things aren't dragging on the pavement. I currently have a 12" spare when the tires on my trailer are 13". So far I've been unsuccessful at finding a 13" rim with a matching lug pattern to my existing rims so that I can have a matching spare.

jmichael I am glad its not just me. I thought about changing tire sizes completely, but didn't want to lose my galvanized rims. but we will see what happens in the spring............

Be careful of tires from Harbor Freight, Lowe's or the like. Check the side walls as many of them are not rated for highway speed. I needed a pair of 13" tires and the ones at HF were 2 Ply. There was no DOT stamp on them and I shied away and found some used REAL trailer tires.

Wal-Mart stocks a lot of common sizes and are opened all night.

When I twisted my axle after running off the bottom of the ramp the first time I just limped it to my friends house on the flat. I first had to drag the spring perches back forward to get the tire to stop rubbing. The boat was light enough that I could have run the 10 miles back home without too much drama.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336966#p336966 said:
Clint KY » December 21st, 2013, 5:06 pm[/url]"]Be careful of tires from Harbor Freight, Lowe's or the like. Check the side walls as many of them are not rated for highway speed. I needed a pair of 13" tires and the ones at HF were 2 Ply. There was no DOT stamp on them and I shied away and found some used REAL trailer tires.

Thanks for the heads up. The one I ordered from HF is 4-ply and DOT approved. I'm only panning on using it when I get a flat to get me back home.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337097#p337097 said:
Ranchero50 » December 24th, 2013, 12:53 pm[/url]"]Wal-Mart stocks a lot of common sizes and are opened all night.

When I twisted my axle after running off the bottom of the ramp the first time I just limped it to my friends house on the flat. I first had to drag the spring perches back forward to get the tire to stop rubbing. The boat was light enough that I could have run the 10 miles back home without too much drama.

Thanks. I called Wal-Mart and they don't carry the size I need anymore.

Well, I guess you could just wedge a log under the axle like they did in that movie a couple years ago and drag it home on that. =D>

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=337274#p337274 said:
Ranchero50 » Yesterday, 21:01[/url]"]Well, I guess you could just wedge a log under the axle like they did in that movie a couple years ago and drag it home on that. =D>

WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN Great film about a neat old lunatic and his vintage Indian Motorcycle and his quest to get to Bonneville Salt Flats. Anthony Hopkins stars. Worth viewing.
=D>

tractor supply/farm and fleet will have them mounted.

regarding the HF tires, I've got a HF 4ft trailer that's almost 10 years old, has done several trips at highways speeds from NC to OH and has it's original tires.

Yes, they're tagged for 55 MPH, whatever.
Like it's the first time any of you have ignored a safety rating. :LOL2:

Thanks. I called Wal-Mart and they don't carry the size I need anymore.[/quote]
That's one of the more common sizes, I'd check with some else at walmart.

Latest posts