Spinning rod & reel question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingBuds

Reaction score
I got a specific question here, is there anyone that uses spinning rod & reels for everything? I mean all of it from crankin to worms?

This last year I have evaluated that me and spinning work great together, I guess its having my hand on the rod constantly or what ever but it works very well with me, I can feel things alot more, do alot better over all.

I'm not comparing whats best, Just the straight question :wink:

I used to be a straight spinning reel guy... But I was tainted with the Baitcasting bug. I love to use both really!!

Aside from crappie fishing, you won't find me using spinning gear for anything.

Only thing I might see myself using one for is drop shot, and why would I need to know how to drop shot, if I have jigging spoons? I don't think most of the locals have picked up a dropshot rod ever since the flex it spoon was accidentally shown to us by striper fisherman.

There are many people who use spinning for somethings, and casting for others, but I can't stand the spinning rods.

I use a spinning outfit for a lot of presentations. Many of them what most people would be using a casting outfit for. But, I don't use spinning for everything. Baitcasting has its time and place and if you want to optimize your performance, casting gear should be used when called for.

I use spinning for everything bass related. I do have 2 nice casters that I will use occasionally for a spinnerbait, but I have several nice spinning and they are my favorite. I do tend to use more casting reels than spinning when it comes to catfishing, but I think you'll find more guys use spinning than casting and I don't care who you are, I can out cast you with my spinning reel vs. your casting reel!

generally I reach for my spinning gear. The only time I really don't is for buzzbaits and swimbaits. I even use my spinning reel for topwater frogs because its easier to get it where I want it.

I am pretty much half and half. Weightless plastics and small baits with a spinning rod, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, frogs, with a baitcaster. As for hardbaits, I will throw them on each rod. For topwater hardbaits and rattle traps I like baitcasters, for jerkbaits I mainly use a spinning rod.

jkbirocz said:
I am pretty much half and half. Weightless plastics and small baits with a spinning rod, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, jigs, frogs, with a baitcaster. As for hardbaits, I will throw them on each rod. For topwater hardbaits and rattle traps I like baitcasters, for jerkbaits I mainly use a spinning rod.

That sounds close to me, This last year I've noticed some of the biggest and most have been on my spinning rods, only thing I haven't done with it is crank bait, so I may try that next year :wink:

I have pushed my BC's(kinda had too with the price of my last one I bought) but I could really feel my water environments better with the spinning ones. I may have to try and shake up my line on the BC's

I used to use spinning gear only, but got back into baitcasters and the tackle monkey jumped on me big time. Whole new set of toys. Same thing happened when I took up fly fishing. I have to be very stern with myself to keep from carrying more than half a dozen rods with me every time I go out.

Just fyi, one advantage of being able to thumb the spool that comes with a caster can also be achieved (albeit not exactly as precisely) with a spinning reel. I use my index finger to slow down the line coming off the spool if I over cast, or want to slow it down, just reach over and (lightly or hard depending on your need) touch the spool when you need to slow it down. Anyhow, I'm highly accurate with my spinning reels, and I love the larger handle for extra power when cranking. Like I said, walk down a bank sometime and you'll see that spinning is really quite popular, but whatever works best for you, go for that!

When I am bass fishing, I'll throw cranks and spinnerbaits on a baitcaster, but I fish texas rigs and finesse jigs on a spinning reel. I have alot better feel with a spinning rod.

I started out fishing when I was about 13 and up until I was about 21 or so I would only use spinning gear. I know have about 12 baitcasters and 4 spinning rigs. They both have there time and place certainly. I have found from my personal use that fishing any sort of lighter worm, lizard, tube etc... that it is hard for me to feel that bait and keep good bottom contact. When I switch to my spinning gear I immediatly take on a whole new confidence factor. Now when using spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, traps, cranks etc... I only use baitcasters. Its just so much easier and smoother when working those heavier faster moving baits. Again its your own preference. Now I can fish a jig on baitcasters. I do sometimes see where you would want to throw a crankbait on spinning gear with super light line. Every time I go to a pond I take my baitcasting gear and just throw works to get more confidence with that rig.

It really depends on the situation for me but I'm probably about 50/50. If I could skip a Senko with a baitcaster I'd probably be more like 70/30 :D

Latest posts