Stability and hull types.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OklaAngler

Reaction score
With the several different hull types to choose from now a days, my question is brought up. What commonly has better stability for a deck, a flat bottom or a v hull? I finally have the amount of money to get a restoration boat and i want to make sure i do the research first! I want to hear your feedback!!!
- Tristan.

A deep v will be the least stable. A semi v is stable. That is what I have. It has a wide bottom. A mod v & a regular flatbottom will be stable depending on the width of the boat at the bottom. That is the #1 thing that determines how stable a boat is. Most flat bottoms you find are 36in wide. So basically, get the widest boat you can for the most stability.

Here is just one of the many links here for nice boats. This is a1436 flat bottom. It should be pretty stable. I'm a big dude do I like them a little wider.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11474

I would say if you can find one and have room for one , and can tow one look for a 16 foot long 48 inch bottom flat or modified V. If not try to find the widest bottom width you can, it adds a lot to the stability. Just my opinion, I am sure more people will chime in on this too. Good luck finding your dream boat.

Thanks guys, thats what i was thinking! It just seems like im finding a lot more v hulls than flat bottoms. Butni think i can wait to find the perfect boat. My 1032 just doesnt cut it anymore.

As long as the v bottom boat is of newer design 70's or later it will be just as stable as a flat bottom.

If you are interested in a good read of why ( so I don;t have to type it) read this link.

https://marketing.huntyachts.com/hunt-yachts-yachting-blog/

Cole

V hulls work well on big water and navigating rough water smoother and more dry than semi-v or flat bottoms a trade off w stability at rest. I'm no expert but I believe a heavier modified or well loaded v hull would be more stable at rest than a lighter barebones or lightly loaded one.

my 14 ft. v is 52" at the waterline and 63" at the top of the deck.its really stable.i can pull my fat *** over the side after a swim without swamping it :LOL2:

Latest posts