Sylvan 16' Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Macattack said:
Got to work on my boat for about four hours today. I got the bracing on the front of the boat replaces pretty easily. I then began cutting out the floor pieces. I got a new Porter Cable jigsaw for Christmas early and it was awesome. It blows away the sawdust so you can follow your line and the LED light makes it easy to see. I never knew that a new saw would make it so much easier to cut.

I laid the pieces in the boat to ensure they fit. It all fit perfectly. I'm not going to seal, prime, and paint before laying them in. This will ensure they last for a long time. I have already ordered and received the vinyl flooring from Cabelas. I used this flooring on my previous project and really liked it. Its easy to scrub or wipe down, plus you don't have to worry about blood and scales like you do with carpet.

After weeks of hard labor of stripping the paint off and painting, putting a floor in can seem like such a monumental step which motivates you to keep going. I hope to get back to it in a couple of days. For the first time I can begin picturing myself on the lake.

im just curious how not sealing,priming and painting will make it last a long time?

Sorry Shawnfish...that was a typo. I primed/sealed today and painting tomorrow before laying down. You must have either thought I was crazy or had some new theory about preserving wood.

Spent a few hours on the boat. Headed out this morning and bought a 4' X 8' sheet of aluminum...they don't give it away. I then cut our the nose piece and then filed the edges and drilled the holes.

I then spent an hour or so getting the cross brace loose and recovering it with the charcoal vinyl. I then riveted the new nose piece on. It turned out awesome. I'll get the floors in after Christmas. It starting to get exciting. I'll post more pics as soon as I can.

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,251
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,251
  • photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,251
  • photo-7.jpg
    photo-7.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,251
I placed some aluminum sheeting under the plywood to provide extra strength when I install the seats. Got the floor put down today and will get the vinyl over it on Wednesday. Next step after that is to get the side panels installed.

Attachments

• photo-9.JPG
    photo-9.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,221
  • photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,221
question MacAttack - How did you cut the front aluminum plate so cleanly? What tool did you use to make the cut?

Stefan said:
question MacAttack - How did you cut the front aluminum plate so cleanly? What tool did you use to make the cut?

Not sure how he did it, but I've been using a jig saw quite a bit. Works like a champ.

Stefan said:

I used my new Porter Cable jigsaw with a fine tooth blade. I traced the old piece and cut it out. I then took a file and filed off the edges. It was actually pretty easy, just have to take your time and be patient.

Got to spend a few hours this afternoon and laid the vinyl flooring down that I ordered from Cabelas. I ordered the gray/charcoal flooring. I cut the piece down to leave about an inch or so on each side. I laid it as one solid piece vs. covering each piece of the flooring. This will make it much easier to keep clean and debris will not fall down in the crevices. All the edges will be coved by either the side panels or the front benches. I used an outdoor vinyl adhesive. I rolled the vinyl up and just worked my way to the front applying glue and unrolling it. I had to really work in spots to eliminate some minor wrinkles. I was able to staple the vinyl from underneath around the center hatch. It will be covered with aluminum which will keep up from unraveling. I still have to cut and cover the board for the hatch.

Attachments

• photo-10.jpg
    photo-10.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,188
  • photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,188
  • photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,188
After some debate, I decided to cover the nose and gunwales in three pieces. I did the nose separately and then the two gunwales. I cut carpet so I could clamp the pieces on and then trace the carpet from underneath. I then took the carpet off and cut them out on the driveway. I then used some outdoor adhesive and glued each piece. I was worried about the seams, but with a little care they came out nice. You really have to look for them to see them. I now going to do the carpet on the inside. That will be challenging. It will be an act of patience, cutting, recutting, and piecing it together. I hope to get to that tomorrow.

If anyone has any advice on how to glue carpet on the inside bare aluminum...especially the steep sides, please let me know. It could be challenging.

Attachments

• photo-11.jpg
    photo-11.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • photo-12.jpg
    photo-12.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • photo-13.jpg
    photo-13.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,160
  • photo-14.jpg
    photo-14.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,160
Everything you've done looks factory!!! Keep up the good work.

Now that the hectic season is over I'm going to get back to work and post some more pics in the next couple of days.

Stefan said:
Everything you've done looks factory!!! Keep up the good work.

Now that the hectic season is over I'm going to get back to work and post some more pics in the next couple of days.

I'm looking forward to an update and some pics. I'll try to get some work done tomorrow.

Boo said:
Outstanding have you any idea on how many hours you have into this ?

It is hard to keep track. I spent over three weeks getting all the paint off the outside. I would say I have over 100 hours already into it, but it is hard to say.

Got the remaining carpet cut and glued on the inside today. It was a task of patience. I didn't realize how difficult it is to cut carpet to fit on a curved surface. I must have climbed in and out of the boat 50 times to cut and recut carpet. Most of the seams came out really good. I going to build my battery boxes next. I'm going to try and mount all four batteries upfront to reduce the weight in the back of the boat. Two will be for the Minn Kota 80# thurst bow-mount trolling motor and the other two will be for the main motor (50 HP Honda 4-stroke). I'm also going to start building the new dash. Lots to do and will just keep plugging away.

Attachments

• photo-15.JPG
    photo-15.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,092
  • photo-16.JPG
    photo-16.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,092
Macattack said:
Got the remaining carpet cut and glued on the inside today. It was a task of patience. I didn't realize how difficult it is to cut carpet to fit on a curved surface. I must have climbed in and out of the boat 50 times to cut and recut carpet. Most of the seams came out really good. I going to build my battery boxes next. I'm going to try and mount all four batteries upfront to reduce the weight in the back of the boat. Two will be for the Minn Kota 80# thurst bow-mount trolling motor and the other two will be for the main motor (50 HP Honda 4-stroke). I'm also going to start building the new dash. Lots to do and will just keep plugging away.

A few things. When carpeting a curved surface like that you have to have extra. You smooth it out, and then trim off the extra on top or bottom. It's just tough to carpet compound curves like the side of a boat and not get wrinkles without some extra carpet.

I'm mounting trolling motor batteries up front also. With that said, some say it's not the best Idea if you are going to fish any kind of rough water, because when under way, the batteries will take a real pounding.
The relatively new Tracker Deep V I had, had the batteries in the front, and I didn't have any issues, so I'm fine with that one.

Why do you need two batteries for the main motor?

Boat is looking GREAT!

Lon, I'm with you on the front batteries. I'm going to secure them so they don't move/bounce. I definitely want as much weight up front as possible. On your question of why two batteries, I don't have to have two, just more secure. I'll be using a Perko switch to select between them. That way I always have a charged battery.

BillG said:
Great job on the rebuild. I have a 79 sylvan 18 that i'm almost done with and will start posting once I figure out how.

I can't wait to see your 79. Maybe I can learn some things from you. I'll be posting some more pics tonight. I'm having a blast!

I got the hatch lid built and covered. I want to make sure no seams would lift up since it is in a high traffic area. The aluminum trim in the floor protects the floor. The vinyl is tucked under the bottom and then has a 3/8" X 2" trim piece stapled over it to protect the vinyl and make it flush when it lays in the floor. There is no way this vinyl will peal, get caught when walking, and should last forever. This took me a couple of hours to complete. I routed out the plywood so the pull hook is flush. I learned from my last boat that if you don't secure every seam, eventually you will catch it with your foot and it will begin curling up. Hopefully I learned from my last boat.

Attachments

• photo-15.JPG
    photo-15.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,060
  • photo-20.JPG
    photo-20.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • photo-18.JPG
    photo-18.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,060