Thinking of upgrading from 14' to 16'?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seafarer

Reaction score
First off, the lakes here are mostly restricted to 9.9hp. I'm running a 1973 Mercury 9.8hp two stroke.

I've been running a 14' Starcraft Seafarer 14' for over a year now and really like the boat but with two people aboard I'm probably pushing the weight limits a bit.
I looked at a 16' version of the same boat, minus my pedestal seats and its about 6 years newer than mine too. Between me and my fishing buddy, plus misc items we're putting over 700lbs in the boat, I'm 325lbs myself, he's at least 250lbs, and the rest is misc gear like tackle boxes, fishing rods, bait buckets, a cooler, etc.

I spotted this boat on CL for cheap and was wondering if moving up to a 16' would be pushing it with a 9.8hp motor? I figure I can sell my 14' for nearly what I pay for the 16' hull and just swap everything over. We thought about just buying a new, bare hull but at over $2,400 for the most basic hull that idea went out the window fast.

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/4617455782.html

The 9.8hp won't plane the 14' but it moves it pretty well, The 16' is wider and deeper, but not much heavier. Do you think the 16' hull is worth the trouble of swapping everything over too?

The wider the better, more stability. The added length and width will handle the weight better and should draft less. It is not planeing it now and it should push the 16 about the same as it does now. Since your hp is limited anyway I say go for it.

I think you will be happy with it and you will enjoy the extra room to move around in it.

I had a 6 HP on a 1648 for a long time and it did well. It would not get the tub up on plane but made almost 9 MPH with a similar load.

Latest posts