Tilting the big dogs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuden

Reaction score
We're on a river where you have to raise and lower the prop as you go from place to place, and that's easy enough with my little 4 HP Yammie. But as I look into larger jon boats that require more HP, I'm suddenly faced with the prospect of hoisting a back-breaker, and my back is "broken" enough already :) How do people with 15 HP and higher motors deal with that, if they don't have power trim?

I actually made one like this for my 40hp 4 stoke Merc when I had it. Worked well.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Adjustable-Outboard-Motor-Tilter/737415.uts?productVariantId=1205826&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=00047700&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=885E84C8-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=25988358551&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=52254830831&gclid=CMXMlsXhzLcCFciY4AodwCwAjw

Unlock it and kick it into reverse. Kind of a tilt assist. Throttle it and it's power tilt.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318144#p318144 said:
turbotodd » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:36 am[/url]"]Unlock it and kick it into reverse. Kind of a tilt assist. Throttle it and it's power tilt.

Some newer motors you can't do this to. My 2005 25hp merc was designed to be unlocked when in forward (in case of a strike it would raise). When the motor was shifted into reverse gear the linkage also ran to the tilt mechanism locking it from raising.

If you throttle it up too much, and then don't catch it with the lock, it's a real good way to break the locking bracket as it slams back down.

Correct. Some of them you can't do it with.

Once again-you can thank the good ol' US EPA for the problems! They don't like 2 stroke motors so what's the option? 4 stroke...however thus far, they're still heavy and hard to tilt. That's the downside. They're catching up, slowly but surely. I'm anxious for the "new" Yamaha 25 ;)