TimeUSB 100AH 12.8V Pro LiFePO4 Battery Review

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyGrub

Reaction score
I ordered and received a pair of these batteries a few weeks ago. I have been busy at camp, but home for a few days now.

Paid just a little over $200 each with free shipping. They arrived very promptly and packaged very well. Documentation was also very good and not your typical Chinese to English translation.

Currently, have been using Group 27DC Lead-Acid batteries. They weigh in at 51lbs each. The TimeUSB are only 22.3lbs each but have a larger footprint of 13" x 7". That is a 57.4lb savings for our jet boat. :)

I started a discharge test on one battery today using an old incadesent fog light. This is just to make sure the Ah rating is close to spec. I have had an issue with a smaller LiFePO4, being much less then advertised

PS: If you are local, I have the LA batteries up for sale on FB Marketplace. 2 1/2 year old, well maintained batteries for half the cost of new.

Attachments

• IMG_9909.jpg
    IMG_9909.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9910.jpg
    IMG_9910.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9911.jpg
    IMG_9911.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 0
Documentation

Attachments

• IMG_9695.jpg
    IMG_9695.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9698.jpg
    IMG_9698.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9699.jpg
    IMG_9699.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9700.jpg
    IMG_9700.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9701.jpg
    IMG_9701.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
The LA batteries sold. :)

The first discharge test should end around 4pm today. I have a camera on it that will detect when the light goes out. The fog light draws 3.5 amps. The housing on it gets pretty hot. When I tested the 20aH battery, used two in series for 1.75 amp draw.

Been working out how I will rearrange the console with the larger footprint batteries.

Initially was just going to get new larger battery trays. Now I’m thinking of using the packing foam they shipped with, to make a “shock” mount, with just “good” straps that have SS buckles and mounts.

Last edited:
When I did the same, Time USB recommended that I cycle the battery a few times before doing a full melt-down capacity test. Let the battery break in a little before fully discharging. If not, hopefully, the BMS does it's job and shuts it down before damage occurs.

These are not like lead acid batteries, where they have their highest capacity when new, and it only goes down from there. If you take care of them, they gain a little after the first few cycles, and then stay there for years, if you don't fully discharge them too much.

In the end, I decided to look at a number of YouTube videos where guys do grueling tests and even tear the batteries apart, rather than damage batteries that I would be relying on.

Will be watching to see what you think, but mine have been AWESOME. One of these easily doubles the capacity of my previous LA batteries, which weren't bad, by the way. These are just another level.

Have you seen the new 100AH Group 24 footprint model? Same capacity, just more compact. I might get a pair for my little boat eventually.

When I did the same, Time USB recommended that I cycle the battery a few times before doing a full melt-down capacity test. Let the battery break in a little before fully discharging. If not, hopefully, the BMS does it's job and shuts it down before damage occurs.

These are not like lead acid batteries, where they have their highest capacity when new, and it only goes down from there. If you take care of them, they gain a little after the first few cycles, and then stay there for years, if you don't fully discharge them too much.

In the end, I decided to look at a number of YouTube videos where guys do grueling tests and even tear the batteries apart, rather than damage batteries that I would be relying on.

Will be watching to see what you think, but mine have been AWESOME. One of these easily doubles the capacity of my previous LA batteries, which weren't bad, by the way. These are just another level.

Have you seen the new 100AH Group 24 footprint model? Same capacity, just more compact. I might get a pair for my little boat eventually.

I did the same test on the 20ah one I use for electronics. I am not seeing any degradation or from what I can tell, no significant enough increase to notice.

I have been monitoring the voltage. If it it reaches 10V and BMS doesn't kick in, than that is a problem.

While I didn't call/contact TimeUSB, did not see any verbage of that in their documentation.

Of course they are making a smaller one now. I just bought the bigger one! :D

I'm considering these to power a minivan / mini rv conversion. Weight is not as much as an issue in a van, but I am consciences of it.

The battery went off after 25 hours. Unplugged the fog light, and voltage went to 9.9v. BMS is working. I had remeasured the current draw. It was not the 3.5A I reported above. It was 4.18A. So it produced a little over the 100Ah rating! :). Battery is now recharged, and will run it down some, for storage. The second battery is under test now.

The second battery went for 15 minutes longer than the first. When load was removed it came back to 9.5V, which is a little lower than the other. Might explain the 15 minute difference.

Anyway, looks like I got two good batteries to install. Given we never ran into issues with the 80Ah LA batteries, these true 100Ah ones would easily last us two full days of fishing. :)

Guys, if I buy one of these, it apparently comes with 30% to 50% charge. Can I just charge it up and start using it, or are these test steps needed?
IIRC...my LiTime batts required a discharge and charge to prepare them for use. Was pretty easy to get them prepared. The preparation instructions can be found on respective batts websites so you can be prepared when you receive them. I've read that since they are actually a tad over 25V (when combined), you need to avoid running in the #8-10 speeds on 24V TMs. Not sure how accurate this info is.

Last edited:
Guys, if I buy one of these, it apparently comes with 30% to 50% charge. Can I just charge it up and start using it, or are these test steps needed?

If you had a 24/36V set-up, there is a balancing procedure before hooking them up in series. Since you mentioned one battery, I assumed just a 12V set-up.

FWIW: I currently have 8awg wiring, and might upgrade to 6awg and a heavier, 70A, plug. Mainly because I have it all apart and easier to do now.

Latest posts