togaurds V-Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

togaurd

Reaction score
1975 Smoker with Trailcar trailer.

Picked this rig up thinking a little patch, tighten a couple rivets, couple bench seats,........oh theres also the..........

I think I'll put the plug in and let it set out a while. If it holds water its a boat. If it doesn't hold water it will be bottom structure. I hear bass love that kind of thing.

I'll try and post some pics later. If I can figure it out. :?

Here are some pics.

I do have a couple questions. The transom brace is from side to side. Is this as strong as on going from transom to bottom of boat? The other question, Is the aluminum deck a factory job and should I remove it to inspect under it?

Attachments

• DSCN1250_edited-1.jpg
    DSCN1250_edited-1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,291
  • DSCN1254_edited-1.jpg
    DSCN1254_edited-1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 1,291
  • DSCN1251.JPG
    DSCN1251.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 1,291
  • DSCN1252.JPG
    DSCN1252.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,291
  • DSCN1253.JPG
    DSCN1253.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,291
Sorry, no new pics yet. As always a couple of projects moved to the top of the list; truck needs brakes and gas tanks, garage needs some more framing just so I can finish garage door, etc...

New pics coming in a week. Mean while I will search forum for idea on what kind of wire wheel to use on paint removal. Also, anyone look at the transom brace in the already posted pics? When I tear into the transom should I bolster that up or is it sufficient?

Hope everyone else's project is going faster than mine.

togaurd said:
The transom brace is from side to side. Is this as strong as on going from transom to bottom of boat? The other question, Is the aluminum deck a factory job and should I remove it to inspect under it?

Togaurd,

Before I comment, I want to qualify my answers are limited to my own local experience and the pictures seen here on tinboats.net.

The transom brace on my Bass Tracker V17 is laid out exactly as yours is laid out, about half way down the transom. Many, perhaps most, of the boats I've seen pictured through this website have the same setup, so you should be fine. What bothers me more is you seem to be missing the transom "cap" that covers the top and encases the aft side transom from water splash. I'd be tempted to install one if I could handle the fabrication.

I'm not sure the aluminum deck is factory, I doubt it, but it's a very nice thing to have. For safety purposes, I would pull it up and check out it's support underneath, to make sure it's done right. Who knows, it may be rotting out wood and you wouldn't know it without checking. Cheap to check it, know it's right and have peace of mind than regret it later. What does concern me is there's no support going up the sides of the boat to stiffen it.

"What do think about that transom?"

I can't see it real well, but I'm wondering what kind of fasteners those are there in two rows. Are they stainless? Is the transom encased in fiberglass resin? What sort of glue was used, if any, to glue the parts together? These are thoughts I'd have. I would probably remove the screws, see if it's glued, then coat it with fiberglass resin (the marine type) so I would be assured it would last as long as possible and be as water proof as possible. Another option would be spar varnish, cheaper than resin, more available locally.

"When I replace transom, leave at 20" or put it back to original 15"?"

The man who put that transom in probably had a long shaft motor he wanted to use. I would make a decision based on what type of motor I was going to use. Long shaft, leave it at 20," short shaft, put it back to 15."

"Its a Trailcar trailer. Any info on them? I cant find a i.d. plate anywhere."

Don't know anything about them, other than trailer parts about everywhere locally. Cleaning up and repair should not be a problem. Based on what I've learned so far about my own build, I wish I could have re-done the trailer first and gotten it out of the way.

Thanks for the input. I have never owned a boat before so all of this is a real learning curve.

The transom was done shortly before I inherited it. Having no real boat repair history I didn't want to dive into demo mode until I knew where I was going. The material in the transom is 2 layers of 1/2" OSB and 1 layer of 1/4" ply. It was glued well with a form of polyurethane. It was generously coated both sides with some form of epoxy. The screws are 1" exterior tek variety.

The OSB was a fire alarm as soon as I saw it. It does not belong around water at all, epoxy or no epoxy. The person that did the work tried his best I can tell. The screws were laid out and spaced evenly and they coated it real good. They just didn't go far enough. That transom brace has no screws connecting it to the transom. The screws that were used were alright, but not enough where it was needed.

Good idea on the floor. There are several rivots missing anyway. I'll be sure and take pics of whats down there.

I have been in construction since I was 15 and a half (thats the absolute youngest you could be to start working if I remember right) I have learned that if you don't know, watch and ask questions.

Thank again for input.

The boat is in a holding pattern. I have the factory floor up and will proceed with taking out the flotation. It's a combo of styro and icyinene(I think thats how its spelled). The floor was basically a sheet of aluminum spanning across the foam with it acting as support. Surprisingly sturdy. Shame though, there are now about 80 more holes to tend with.

I'll get some pics of floor coming out and transom.

I have a new garage and can't even get the boat in yet. :cry:

Latest posts