Tohatsu 9.8 Making Oil

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezekiel2517

Reaction score
15 mins from Tims Ford Lake, Normandy Lake, and Wo
I know it's not really Making Oil, but the phrase just works for what I'm asking. I got a new Tohatsu 9.8 for X-Mas and followed the instructions. Put the oil in to 3/4 full. (I had read about making oil doing research online, then promptly forgot about it when fishing.)

On my last trip I noticed the motor was running low rpm.(Before use I even put a TTO tach/hour meter on it.) I puttered back to the dock, came home and started trying to find the problem. The troubleshooting guide said high oil level could cause the problem(that's when I remembered the making oil problem.) Checked and low and behold it had made quite a bit.

I was just past my break-in period and I had plans to change the oil after that trip anyway. So I have changed the oil and I will check it before every trip from now on. A lesson learned about checking oil and changing oil more often.

Now the question. What damage could I have done and how do I check for that damage?

Thanks in advance and may you all catch what you are fishing for.

Probably no damage, assuming the correct oil was used. Manufacturers know that the 4 strokes make oil. They also designed the engines knowing that they'd do this; meaning the bearings are of a different material than would be used in a car engine, so that moisture and/or combustion byproducts that make it past the rings (also normal) won't damage anything.

Go ahead and change the oil. When you fill it make sure the engine is level, and wait quite awhile for the oil to settle before checking it. I have 30hp 4 stroke Merc (made by Tohatsu) and it came from the dealer way overfull. You might try a couple of trips with the rpms in the happy zone (5500-6000 for my 30) you can run it slower for a while but make sure it is not lugging. Mine quit making oil after I made sure it didn't start out over full, and was fully broken in. If you run it idle speed for an hour or so, make sure you give it a 15-20 min hard run to warm it up fully. Also, when you change the oil, let it drain forever and add 10 min. That is how mine was over filled from the dealer. It was test run at the factory, and drained for shipping. The dealer filled it with 2qts of oil because the spec sheet said it hat a 1.9qt oil capacity. It does if you let it drain for half a day, and replace the oil filter. Hope this helps and you are as happy with your 4 stroke as I am.

John