Tornado this spring got my10ft baby, any helpful hints for straightening this mess out?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is that you've got damage pulling in multiple directions. The branch may have pushed down on the center of the hull/keel, but that also pulled the sides in toward the "cave-in". You could try clamping a 4x4 across the gunwales right above the cave-in, and stick a bottle jack in between, pressing the cave-in back out, but you may need to apply force across the bottom too, to push the sides back toward their original positions.

Good luck.....Roger

Well, if you can't fix it you can still sell it for scrap. Or use it for a big flower pot and place it at the end of the driveway. If it snows in your area, use it as a multi person toboggan. Soap box racing comes to mind too.
If you do try and repair the beast, post up your journey here on tinboats.net

The problem is that you've got damage pulling in multiple directions. The branch may have pushed down on the center of the hull/keel, but that also pulled the sides in toward the "cave-in". You could try clamping a 4x4 across the gunwales right above the cave-in, and stick a bottle jack in between, pressing the cave-in back out, but you may need to apply force across the bottom too, to push the sides back toward their original positions.

Good luck.....Roger
She is not really pooched out much but is crushed more than the pics show. If I had a way to press down on the inside bottom that might get 50% of it. But as of now it looks like heating and beating, then cleaning up whatever damage that causes. I and not sure what to do with the ribs, the bends are one thing, the tears are another thing altogether.

Well, if you can't fix it you can still sell it for scrap. Or use it for a big flower pot and place it at the end of the driveway. If it snows in your area, use it as a multi person toboggan. Soap box racing comes to mind too.
If you do try and repair the beast, post up your journey here on tinboats.net
I will not give up on her yet, 30 years of good memories, many of them with friends who are no longer living. She wasn't a beauty queen when I got her, patches and dents so a few more will not hurt anything. But after all the years of work on her and several paint jobs, that $25 boat is getting expensive. LOL Still putting the house back together so it might be a little while but I will snap pics and post what I learn when the work starts. :)

Honestly I wouldn’t bother putting too much into it. That boat is totaled. I suppose if the sentimental value means that much to you it could be fixed to a certain extent. Decent 10 foot Jon boats can be had used for 300$ or less around here. Unless you have good skill welding aluminum I can see hundreds of $ worth of welding just in those couple pics.

She is not really pooched out much but is crushed more than the pics show. If I had a way to press down on the inside bottom that might get 50% of it. But as of now it looks like heating and beating, then cleaning up whatever damage that causes. I and not sure what to do with the ribs, the bends are one thing, the tears are another thing altogether.
Is the hull still in one piece? It looks like it has a pretty significant tear in a couple of the pictures

Is the hull still in one piece? It looks like it has a pretty significant tear in a couple of the pictures

So far as I can tell right now, on brace is torn and a couple of the seat brackets. That might grow as a beat her back into shape.

Honestly I wouldn’t bother putting too much into it. That boat is totaled. I suppose if the sentimental value means that much to you it could be fixed to a certain extent. Decent 10 foot Jon boats can be had used for 300$ or less around here. Unless you have good skill welding aluminum I can see hundreds of $ worth of welding just in those couple pics.
Yes, I know it makes no sense but I am going to try anyway.