trailer fender?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldgeek

Reaction score
Okay, I've had my boat sitting in the back yard and finally got to work rebuilding the trailer. I noticed I'm missing one of the fenders. Do they really do anything except keep the bottom of the boat cleaner?
I notice the bunks are 9' long and 6 inches wide. They are rotten and have no carpet left on them. I think I'll replace them with 10 footers for a little more support and also plan to add a carpeted bow stop for a little support there.
I started with the drill and wire brush to knock off the rust and loose paint. I'm going to give it a coat of Rustoleum rust restorer and then a fresh coat of black.

The good news is I found the source of the "small leak" the guy that sold me the boat mentioned. Two cracks about 4 inches from the transom. They had been patched with silcone at some point. [-X JB Marine Weld will do a nice job on those. The rest of the bottom was in great shape.

fenders keep the boat cleaner if you happen to be towing in the rain or wet roads, offer protection to other motorists by possibly catching/controlling road debris from being thown their way to some extent anyway. Some states require fenders on trailers, some dont, some don't care. you might find a cheapo one at northern tool that will work if you're gonna replace it.

Fenders will also help prevent flying rocks from chipping or denting your boat. They are cheap to buy and easy to install.

If the wheels are far enough out they can and WILL kick up rocks towards the tow vehicle and its windows. I remember in my teens my uncle had an open wheel trailer that would kick a rock forward about once a month until the 3rd time he had enough. After replacing the window he put fenders on it and never had a problem again.

I spent about 2 hours removing the bunks, wiring and hoist. All the nuts were rusted so bad, I twisted them off. Then I wire brushed the whole frame and used 3 cans of the Rustoleum rust restorer. It is going to rain the next two days so, so I'll have to wait to put the camo on the trailer. After I get that done, then I'll install the new bunks and hoist. My son will rewire the trailer a lot cleaner than it was. He says it needs the connections soldered and shrink wrapped. He's installed a lot of high end sound systems in cars, so he'll do a good job.
The trailer had a lot of surface rust, so there wasn't any way I was going to get a nice smooth finish. The Rustoleum does a nice job as long as you get the loose stuff off and the flaking paint. Sorry but I forgot to take pictures of the before, but take my word for it, that it looks much better.

Since the weather will be crappy tomorrow, I may take a ride to Tractor Supply and pick up a fender. It will look better with 2. It was nice to get a full day in on this project. Spring isn't that far off.

just purchased 2 from Rural King for $15 each , good metal ones too !! Any farm and home store will have them . they had plastic ones for $9.99

catfishhunter said:
just purchased 2 from Rural King for $15 each , good metal ones too !! Any farm and home store will have them . they had plastic ones for $9.99

Rural King is my favorite store! Of course every time the season changes, they rearrange the entire store and I can't find anything. Maybe I'll have to ask if they carry them in Marion. Raining today so I'm stuck inside anyway.

I have been thinking of looking for some new fenders if I choose to step up to 12" instead of 8" wheels... thats down the road though... and I myself would go with plastic sine they have less chance of rusting or causing problems... or I may just use something to raise my existing fends up some...

Latest posts