trailer guide on ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaarc

Reaction score
For you guys with flat bottom jons what kind of trailer guide ons work best for the flat bottoms. I'm having trouble keeping it centered while loading and it's drifting off and scratching up the top of my fenders so I'm looking for guide ons and wonder which ones work best with the flat bottom boats.I have been shoping around and they have long bunk style,short bunk style,verticle roller style, and pvc goal post style. From your experience what works best for you guys?

Thanks Dave

I use goal post style made out of stainless square tube.Works fine but I didn't make them quit long enough for real step launches.Thinking PVC goal post style would work good.

I had the exact same problem I feel your pain. I was going to get guides but i found i was backing my trailer into the water to far. now i leave more of it out of the water and power the boat up the trailer its worked great so far. I may still get guides but not right away.

This is what I have personally dealt with.Angled bottom bunks with V rollers down the middle for a V bottom boat.I liked the tri-hull trailer set up best.It had 2 self adjusting bottom bunks with 5 foot long side guide bunks.The one on my uncles boat that was best all around but not my favorite was the goal post style.He had a fiberglass mod V jon.The trailer had bottom bunks and goal post about 3/4 the way down the boat.The good thing about goal post trailer is being able to keep the lights out of the water and having something to mark the empty trailer while backing up.This is just my opinion,but for a light jon almost anything will work.

If you are satisfied with your boat and plan to keep it a long while I suggest using these
https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/
for bunk boards and guide on's as well, they end the rot and replacement chores and the carpet junk. They make loading and unloading a snap. Never unhook the boat from the trailer when unloading until you are in the water. When you load the boat it can slide off the trailer until you get it hooked up.
The longer and closer the side guide on's are the easier a boat is to load . I have about one inch total clearance. With the Ultimate Bunk boards they will not mar or mark a boat. They are more expensive initially but in the long run are the way to go. Replace em once and be set forever.

Latest posts