Trailer rewire

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 7806

Reaction score
My trailer wiring wasn't much better than the boat, in fact it might have been worse. I knew there were globs of wires taped together & the plug was a total mess with 2 different flat plugs on it. All the lights worked but it just looked like a problem waiting to happen. So I figured to make life easier and to not have to drive home some night without lights I decided to rewire the trailer.

Climbed under the trailer and just cut the old stuff out. The premade wiring harness I bought was the flat wire type with the 4 prong flat plug on the end. This matched the plug already on the truck. This harness was easy to wire, the harness was a Y from the plug so it was easy run the wires down the tonuge then split the right & left. This made it real easy as there wasn't any splicing on one side to get over to the other side. The directions even told you which colors went to which side.

All the connections are done with heat shrink connectors and then wrapped with splicing tape.

Here's what the orginal wring looked like
This I pulled out from under the frame rail on the left side.
DSC04093.JPG
This is going across the back cross member to the right side. Yes that is orange extension cord. Probably makes more sense that pulling seperate wires, but for what that type wire cost they could have bought a trailer harness.
DSC04094.JPG
Here's the 2 plugs and under the black split plastic loom was a big glob of splices.
DSC04095.JPG
The old wire thrown in a pile
DSC04096.JPG
All the exposed wire is in black split loom material
DSC04097.JPG
Under the trailer looking at the left side where there are actually 2 lights. The one one the pole like the previous picture and one that was on the frame of the license plate light which is also a tail/stop light.
DSC04098.JPG
The new improved plug end of the harnes.
DSC04099.JPG

The only issue I still have is the old lights. The sockets are old and sometimes stick and the bulbs won't light. Took the off and clean and lubes the socket some maybe that will work. If not I want to put LEDs on it but would like to keep the same sty[e. I can find time with the Red/Yellow faces on them but none with only the red. Not sure I want the yellow light in the mirror all the time, but them again it might help to see the rear of the trailer in the dark. Something to think about.

Attachments

• DSC04094.JPG
    DSC04094.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 357