Dedicated Ground wire question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinhead1986

Reaction score
i’m rewiring and installing new lights on my boat trailer and i keep reading about adding a dedicated ground wire for all the lights to prevent grounding problems . can i splice in a new ground wire from my trailer plug ground and then run it to each light splicing them in then loop the long ground wire back to the plugs ground . I’m trying to stop using the trailer frame or hitch coupler for the grounds

I see no reason why not. That way, with a full loop ground wire, there would still be a ground path, no matter where it might get damaged during use.

Roger

I see no reason why not. That way, with a full loop ground wire, there would still be a ground path, no matter where it might get damaged during use.

Roger
i’m just trying to figure out if this is the right way of doing it vs having a whole bunch different ground points and potential problems down the road with things like the side markers and tail lights

Yes, you can add a dedicated ground wire.

Often, I will run one, and tap it into the trailer in several places without breaking the wire. This is useful with painted trailers or older trailers that don't conduct so well anymore.

Running them directly to each light works well, too. Some wire harnesses, especially ones made for LED lights have a dedicated white ground wire that runs full length. Use it.

Avoid thin wiring. Thicker, tinned copper wire is preferred, as well as using glue filled heat-shrink connectors.