Transom Suggestions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarazen1722

Reaction score
I gotta fix this and I am not sure how. Read alot but still not sure. Attached a couple views inside and back. Wood obviously rotten and seems wet, previous owner filled with foam behind boards scary to me. Any direction would help - I am into easy and cheap but will do what's needed.

Transom 12 001.jpg

Attachments

• Transom 12 003.jpg
    Transom 12 003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 774
  • Transom 12 004.jpg
    Transom 12 004.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 774
While your doing It go ahead and run the wood all the way down and curve it with the hull all the way to the bottom. More surface area to mount any toys or fire extinguishers. When I replace my wood in the off season I'm gonna do the entire rear and put a nice urethane finish to top it off

I would go ahead and put some roll on Bedliner behind where the wood goes and it will help dampen noise and give a nice tough coat.

Have you thought about building your own transom cap and support braces? I plan on building my support braces at a 45 degree angle which will greatly improve the strength and also give me a nice slot for a spare gas can or a small cooler and quite possibly spots for spare rod holders for transport

Post some more photos of the boat buddy I'm always looking for new pictures to check out for any ideas on my build

What hp motor do you plan to run? If it's a small engine I wouldn't bother trying to fit a board to the entire transom (top-bottom & side to side). Use marine plywood of correct thickness and match what original size was. It should be easier to slip under the transom cap than a full size board. Replace rivets with some stainless bolts and 5200. And don't forget a couple coats of poly to waterproof. Easy fix.

Latest posts