transom tm conversion to bow

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiong-tech

Reaction score
i got a tm for my dads boat but the steering cables were rubbing on the T handles (see the first pic.) my uncle told me that a transom tm can be converted to bow tm by turning the head 180 degrees, so i tried it. it was just a matter of taking out a bolt/screw, turning the head, and bolting it back together. here it is:

mounted on transom
tmpix005.jpg

bow mounted w/ head turned 180
tmpix006.jpg

i figured since my dads boat came w/ a bow mount for a tm, i'll fab up a bracket of some sort to hold the tm. i found out that a 1" cpvc pipe was the same diameter as my tm shaft so i bought what looks to be a union or something for $5 (third pic below.) i had some 2" metal pipes laying around at home so i cut one to size and sandwiched it between the caps. i then went back to lowes, bought a stick of metal w/ predrilled wholes (don't know if it has a specific name), cut it to size and welded it together. this took me a couple of hours to do, but weeks to figure out which plan was the best. turned out ok. the whole thing cost me about $30 and thats because i burnt the first union when welding. it got a little hot. sorry, i didn't take any pix while i was putting it together. i only have the finished product.

bow mount that came w/ the boat
tmpix002.jpg

tmpix004.jpg

crazy fabbing
tmpix011.jpg

tmpix008.jpg

tmpix009.jpg

mounted on the bow mount. the finished product.
tmpix007.jpg

tmpix010.jpg

this winter, this boats getting an overhual.

rick50 said:
Looks like that will work....Have you tried it out yet?

no. just got it done today. boat hasn't been registered for about 10 yrs. but will change this year.

Latest posts