Trim Tabs

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broncoman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a set of adjustable trim tabs for my boat, just wondering if anyone else has made some and out of what material, I've seen that most of the ones on the market are Stainless I was thinking of using aluminum think it will work? Also I was thinking of some type of manual adjustment, or something a little cheaper than what is on the market any ideas?

I've never considered building trim tabs, but...

If I were to make a manual trim tab setup, I would look at either aluminum or stainless steel plates and stainless steel/aluminum turnbuckles with a pretty heavy piano hinge. I would made each one out of two plates, one for the tab and the other to mount to the boat the boat mount would probably be at least 1/4" thick and I would use 3-4 3/8 bolts through the transom. The tabs would be 1/8" stainless steel or 3/16 aluminum. The piano hinge would lock the two plates together with (6-10) 10-24 stainless pan head stainless screws. Then the turnbuckle (or maybe 2 turnbuckles to add rigidity) would mount between the two plates for adjustability.

Or you could just look on ebay to find a nice new or used set.

If I were to make a manual trim tab setup, I would look at either aluminum or stainless steel plates and stainless steel/aluminum turnbuckles with a pretty heavy piano hinge. I would made each one out of two plates, one for the tab and the other to mount to the boat the boat mount would probably be at least 1/4" thick and I would use 3-4 3/8 bolts through the transom. The tabs would be 1/8" stainless steel or 3/16 aluminum. The piano hinge would lock the two plates together with (6-10) 10-24 stainless pan head stainless screws. Then the turnbuckle (or maybe 2 turnbuckles to add rigidity) would mount between the two plates for adjustability.

I tend to agree with that pretty well. Exactly my thoughts, even before I read his reply. However, I would probably use 1/8 inch aluminum, in a 6061 or similar T4 or T6 heat treated alloy, and then have a piece of angle or square across the top of the trailing edge. Then attach the turnbuckle to that. Unless you are pounding the tabs over rocks, you will be just as stiff, or likely stiffer, if you have something thinner, with the brace across the back.

I'm working with moving some of the batteries around right now to see if that will help, but may try the tabs soon. I have both 1/4" and 1/8' plate and aluminum and stainless hinge. Also more than likeley try the turnbuckle adjustment, once they are set it should stay pretty much the same set-up.

I tend to agree with that pretty well. Exactly my thoughts, even before I read his reply. However, I would probably use 1/8 inch aluminum, in a 6061 or similar T4 or T6 heat treated alloy, and then have a piece of angle or square across the top of the trailing edge. Then attach the turnbuckle to that. Unless you are pounding the tabs over rocks, you will be just as stiff, or likely stiffer, if you have something thinner, with the brace across the back.

I just like to overkill everything... :D

Do it right the first time and you never have to do it again.

In that case, you could go with 3/16 inch, and the brace like I mentioned....

I just think that having the turnbuckle attach right to the middle of an open span will eventually result in bending of the outer edges. I am banking on the theory that the reinforced 1/8, while it obviously wouldn't be stronger, would counter that particular force better than would the 3/16 alone.

bassboy1 said:
In that case, you could go with 3/16 inch, and the brace like I mentioned....

I just think that having the turnbuckle attach right to the middle of an open span will eventually result in bending of the outer edges. I am banking on the theory that the reinforced 1/8, while it obviously wouldn't be stronger, would counter that particular force better than would the 3/16 alone.
I agree that the flat may bend over time I was thinking of either bending a 90-degree lip on the sides and rear maybe about an inch tall for support and reinforce the mounting area for the turnbuckle. Lots of good points brought up on the designs.

Here are just a couple of pics I had on the server.

smallrearwebpic.JPG

Webpicfront.JPG

Latest posts