Trolling motor or kicker?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishingForSupper

Reaction score
So I tried out the 9.9 two stroke kicker that came with my boat out on the river for salmon, and I really don’t like it. Mostly because it runs too fast to really effectively troll as I have to keep it above idle just to stay running. And it’s loud, shakes the boat, and it’s a two stroke and I don’t want to smell that all day trolling. I’ve been running the under powered transom mount trolling motor on the lake and it works ok, definitely slow enough for Kokanee and trout, but not the best for the river or sound for salmon, and it’s small and we are thinking a bow mount with remote would work better. This weekend I just used the trolling plate on the main to troll for salmon which worked well, except I’m putting extra hours on the main, and I don’t have a backup if the main fails. So now I’m struggling with what to do. Do I...

1) Sell the 9.9 and look for a smaller 4 stroke kicker that will get me down slow enough for salmon on the river and sound, and use the freshwater trolling motor for Kokanee and trout until it dies and I can buy one with a remote.
2) Sell both the 9.9 and old trolling motor and buy a saltwater bow mount trolling motor which would work in both situations (? hopefully against the river current on the off chance the main dies on me), and use the main motor for the days this set up doesn’t work. (Suggestions on a good saltwater trolling motor?)
3) Some other option I’m not thinking of that maybe you all know.

I like the idea of the electric trolling motors, just not sure about power and use in the salt. A kicker would be nice backup for out on the river or bay, but I’d have to find a 4 stroke in the 6-8 hp range. Thoughts???

Trolling motors used for constant trolling use up battery power quickly. You don’t say how big your boat it is or if you have room for multiple batteries needed for an electric trolling motor. You’d need a 24 volt motor for a river and space for two batteries. How many hours would you be trolling? Gas motors will run many hours trolling on just a small amount of fuel.

This is on a 16 foot Smokercraft Lodge. I have two batteries on board already for the main and electric motor plus downriggers. If I went with a 24v motor, I’d leave one battery in the back for the main and downriggers and keep the other two up front for weight.

Option 4: fix the 9.9 so it runs at idle and doesn't smoke. Switch to a lower pitch prop if you want to troll slower.

Trolling motors are nice but not really for trolling. They're great if if you're spending the extra for a spot lock feature or want to control the boat with a foot control while you fish. I have one on my little 12' jon boat that we use in small ponds where gas motors are not allowed. If you are really trolling, they eat up batteries. They make lousy back up motors in an emergency. Few people troll with trolling motors. I think a small kicker is better for trolling.

Agree. The 9.9 probably needs some love and should run smoothly. Use a quality synthetic oil in the mix for less smoke. Some guys run less oil in the mix if all you do is troll with it. 75-100:1 (research this as I have no experience with this) Sometimes decarbonizing these engines is all they need. A good carb cleaning helps as well as premium non ethanol fuel if it's available in your area. Puregas is a good site for availability information.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I can pull crankbaits for hours with a Terrova 80 and two group 29 batteries.

Running in big seas or heavy current is where a kicker would be preferable. Otherwise, with some good batteries, you can run for a good long while on electric.

The boats I've been on used both. We did a lot of bowfishing and we used the kicker to cover a lot of water and to run down fish. I've also seen guys that use a trolling motor for steering with the kicker providing most of the propulsion.

I do like the idea of using the trolling motor to steer with a kicker pushing, since when a salmon hits, all he’ll breaks loose on the boat. I guess I’ll be tearing into this kicker to see if I can get it dialed in, or look for a used smaller 4 stroke kicker.

FishingForSupper said:
I do like the idea of using the trolling motor to steer with a kicker pushing, since when a salmon hits, all he’ll breaks loose on the boat. I guess I’ll be tearing into this kicker to see if I can get it dialed in, or look for a used smaller 4 stroke kicker.

I just got a used boat that has both 8 hp kicker and Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor with iPilot. I'm still learning, but it does seem to be possible to use kicker to supply the push and trolling motor mainly just steer. Fine line though cause if you push too hard with kicker the trolling motor will try to slow you down. I have found that at 1 mph trolling speed, I have trouble keeping the kicker running, rpms too low. Might have to change prop on the kicker.

mavsteve said:
FishingForSupper said:

I just got a used boat that has both 8 hp kicker and Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor with iPilot. I'm still learning, but it does seem to be possible to use kicker to supply the push and trolling motor mainly just steer. Fine line though cause if you push too hard with kicker the trolling motor will try to slow you down. I have found that at 1 mph trolling speed, I have trouble keeping the kicker running, rpms too low. Might have to change prop on the kicker.

I'm envious because I can't get anywhere near 1.5 mph much less 1 mph. But I troll using the main motor.

Anyway, iPilot should keep your boat heading in the direction you select regardless of the speed of your kicker. I'm far from an expert but wonder if you have cruise control turned on. I use my trolling motor almost exclusively for the iPilot while trolling. I'm completely spoiled and cannot imagine being without it. Lol.

Have you considered a trolling plate on your main motor? I have a Davis Happy Troller on my Honda 30 and it can slow the boat down to 1 mph. The thing works great (Once you get used to how to deploy/raise it)

If you put it on and you do not like the preset settings, you can grind it down to fine tune it. On my previous boat, It slowed it too much. I took off the bottom 1 inch of the plate and it got the speed right where I wanted it.

Good luck

FishingForSupper said:
I like the idea of the electric trolling motors, just not sure about power and use in the salt. A kicker would be nice backup for out on the river or bay, but I’d have to find a 4 stroke in the 6-8 hp range. Thoughts???

I use my Minn Kota Ulterra in the salt all the time, doesn't seem to have any adverse effects. My Ulterra is a 36V and I can run it at 1mph for probably 12 hours solid. I don't, however, that's too slow for the salmon and trout I usually fish for, so I have a 6hp four stroke kicker that I use to push and the Ulterra to autopilot and cruise control. I'm usually targeting about 2- 2.4mph. Using the kicker for thrust I can easily autopilot for 12 hours of trolling.

Like LDUBS said I can't imagine not having the I-pilot. I found a trolling plate to be miserable in the wind and waves. When it's calm it's no problem but the wind and waves made boat control a real bear. Now boat control isn't an issue because the robot drives. It's actually made me a more productive fisherman not having to drive at all.

20200409_153948-L.jpg

For down rigging I would sell that 9.9 and buy a new 4 stroke 4 or 5hp kicker.. you would be about the same price.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
For down rigging I would sell that 9.9 and buy a new 4 stroke 4 or 5hp kicker.. you would be about the same price.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I agree about the 4 stroke kicker, but not about the 4 or 5hp. Look into at least an 8hp 4 stroke kicker for the simple reason that anything below the 8's will be a single cyl (if you are buying new at least). My 6hp is one big piston and it's a chunky, vibrating beast. I wish I knew then what I know now, that a twin cyl would be far smoother. Even at idle speeds all day and on my 3200 lb, 21 foot beast of a boat it vibrates more than I would like.

Latest posts