Trolling motor placement

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsmcm

Reaction score
Can some of you men tell me or show me the best ways to mount My new trolling motor? I have a lowe 14ft that has a semi v type hull that I am building a front deck on it. Does the motor need to be near the front point (or middle of the boat)? I am putting the terrova 55 on it and it looks like it needs to be close to the edge and after my deck is finished it will still be a little lower than that round piping on the top of the boat. What do you use as a spacer to lift the tm base up to clear this. I also wanted to know if I could get away with using t nuts to use to attach the tm because if I need to get the tm that close to the front of the boat there is no way I can get my hand under there to get the nuts and washers on the attach the motor. Also what do I need to get to wire up the trolling motor? Is there some kind of electrical center or other device to attach the power wiring to up front as I will wire heavy wire to the battery in back.

Different materials (wood, aluminum channel) have been used by some to mfr a raised mounting surface for tm attachment. Do you have any pics of the front deck/area you want to mount the tm? Photos help immensely when members offer tips/suggestions.

I just purchased a new Lowe 1648 MT, and I had the dealer install a Terrova on the front seat/deck. They used this thick foam/rubber tubing as a spacing material to account for the height difference you are refering too. This seemed fine at the time, but not that I have had the boat in the water, and used the trolling motor, I have noticed a problem. When I accelerate with the Terrova, it causes the front seat/deck to flex significantly. I don't think the thin aluminum of the front seat/deck is strong enough to support the weight/thrust of the Terrova, especially over long periods of regular use. I contacted the dealer about the issues, and I am waiting for their response.

Latest posts