trolling motor plug and recept.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levron41

Reaction score
I have a brand new minn kota edge. The book on it says to only use 6 awg wire to adapt to it. I have been looking at plugs and recepts to hook it up and basically the plug and recept with a 6 awg adapter is expensive. The other plug and recepts that are cheaper come pigtailed with 8 or 10ga wire. I thought 6 ga wire was standard on trolling motors? If so, are the 8 and 10ga plug and recepts safe to use?

Thanks in advance for any advice/opinions

If the book says to use 6 gauge wire I wouldn't go any lower in size. It may over heat and cause a fire.
save the money and get the plug you need rather than try to go cheap.

I can not stand them chessy 3 prong plugs, plus they aid in voltage drops, I plan to use anderson connectors on my motor, I will just conceal it to look pretty when done.

I despise the plugs to no end. The twist lock ones aren't a big problem, but the stab in ones absolutely suck. Far too much current loss, great risk of arcing, which will likely damage the plug (I've seen a lot that have blackened contacts, or slightly melted plastic), or worse yet, start a fire.

If you have to have the plug, fork out the bucks for a good twist lock plug, or the Anderson connections Bug is using. Otherwise, get a 2 position terminal block, and forgo the plug altogether (which is what I would do, and have done in the past) unless the motor needs to be removable.

Latest posts