Trolling motor prop pin removal help?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2go

Reaction score
I have a Minn Kota 3HP TM.The prop shaft has rusted really bad.The prop pin is stuck.I tried using a BIG set of channel lock pliers and pushing it out.I also tried knocking it out with a hammer.No dice.Yes I soaked it in penatrating oil for nearly 2 months.I may try a friend's V block and press.I may just have to cut it off and drill the rest of it out.Any body have any other ideas.

Try putting some heat on it. You can use one of those portable propane torches. Be careful not to heat the shaft to much so you don't cause any damage.

bcritch said:
Try putting some heat on it. You can use one of those portable propane torches. Be careful not to heat the shaft to much so you don't cause any damage.

I thought of this but the seal is to close and will melt.I'm trying to save everything I can.

try using a small punch and a hammer, don't beat it, just tap it and spray some deep creep on it and tap some more. It will come out, just be patient.

Oh shoot!I forgot about this thread.I got the pin out.For nearly 2 months I was putting penatrating oil on it.Earlier this week I got it half way out.I soaked over night in oil and the next day,I used vise grips to lever it out a little more and the pin broke.I soaked it in oil again and used a 3 inch finish nail to drive the rest out.I have since cleaned it all up and made a post about that.Here's the link. https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5453&hilit=3hp