Updating a Grumann 1754

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DSC_0004.JPG

I've owned this boat since new in 1995 and it has lots of miles on it, had a homemade cabin for a couple years but it is ready to for a remake. It started life as a "bass boat" and I did catch some bass, but mostly catfish and it was used to drag 2 of my boys around on rafts and chase strippers in the Chesapeake Bay. She has a 50 horse OMC and a 6 horse Johnson for trolling. I have a 30 lb Minn Kota for my 12' Duroboat but I think it's too small for the 17', especially in the wind...we'll see.

That said, we now live in Northern Idaho and the mission has changed to trolling with down riggers for lake trout and Kokanee salmon in local lakes and there's a pretty good chance we'll sneak over to Montana and see if their fish are bigger than ours. There also needs to be enough room to fling flies for rainbows and flip spinners for small mouth.

Anyway, it's going to be upgraded some as time permits...Spring bear is also open...so many things to do and so little time.

Well, we got most everything together except the carpet and we took her out yesterday and found the 50hp only got us 32 mph when it used to do 38 - 41mph at sea level. I'm thinking the engine is not putting out the same power at 2200' as it did at sea level. It has new plugs and is tuned pretty well. She might weigh 200lbs more than she used to, but it doesn't see like that would make much difference.

Anyway, she rode just fine and we put the little merc 3.3hp on and trolled at 2.2mph by the GPS and didn't catch anything but the rainbows were in a feeding frenzy on the surface chasing bugs and I didn't bring a fly rod.

Carpet is bought but not installed and I need a top to get a little shade out there but other than that I think we're set for the summer!! :D

Latest posts