V-14' Alumacraft, has anyone tried to rig a sail?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifford_Akov

Reaction score
I just love my boat, and I am always looking for ways to enjoy being on the water. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to rig their tin boat with a sail? I know it is not the most popular way to enjoy an aluminum boat, but what the heck. I already have a motor and oars, seems like a challenge to me. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Regards.

There's a few mfrs of sails for canoes, and most have a provision for keels which drop over the side to maintain stability. They don't use masts, but catch the wind like a parachute in most cases.

I suppose it is possible to do the same for a v-hull, but you'd be pushing a lot of weight and water, and would probably need more square footage to be of any benefit.

so.... dunno

Without some sort of daggerboard you would have one incredibly unstable setup. Finding a place to mount a mast would be difficult as well, especially if you wanted to have a jib

Funny, Alumacraft used to make a sail boat, S-14.

alumacraft_s14_zpsa4f26226.jpg

Will use leeboards and mount an unstayed mast on front seat.

When I get started, I will upload some pictures.

Thanks for responses.

Friend supplied an old Laser sail, just set the mast in to check out the scale.

Starting to look like a sailboat. =D>

Aside from a strong dose of mis-givings, I'm going to follow this thread closely.

There's something about "unique" quests which has always fascinated me.

Have fun, be safe.

[-o<

Found a leeboard at Sailor's Exchange in St. Augustine, now to design a bracket.

Needs a little TLC and minor fiberglass work, but for $20 - not bad.

Latest posts