V-bottom and flotation pods?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreature

Reaction score
Hello,

I've scoured the internet and I can't find a v-bottom with flotation pods. I see the flat bottom duck hunters like this for shallow water however the added weight capacity it adds is intriguing. Anyone know if it is possible?

I'm speculating here since I've never had float pods on my V-hull, but... a V-hull by design is a displacement style hull whereas a flat bottom boat is a planing style hull. Adding pods to a V-hull is sort of defeating the purpose of why people favor them. The V-hulls give you stability through choppy water by displacing the water, cutting through the waves instead of riding over them like a flat bottom. If you give the boat more flotation I don't think it will operate the way it's intended. A flat bottom boat is intended to plane over the water and for this reason doesn't handle choppy water as well, but it draws less water and benefits by more flotation.

If the only reason you want the pods on a V-hull is for the added capacity- which is only like 200lbs more- I don't think it's worth the potential sacrifice in ride quality.

Thanks Jethro!

I see what you mean. Finish this project and if I want more capacity weight then buy another bigger project. My wife is gonna love me!!

kreature said:
Thanks Jethro!

I see what you mean. Finish this project and if I want more capacity weight then buy another bigger project. My wife is gonna love me!!

It's a legitimate disease called twofootiteis! In advanced stages it becomes manyboatiteis- that's when you finally realize that the minimum number of boats you NEED is 5 or more. I'm there... a kayak, a small pickup truck-able jon boat, an easy to tow 14' aluminum deep V side console, a big 18 foot shallow water bass boat and a 20' fiberglass deep V center console for the salt. Oh, and don't forget a 24' tritoon and trailer, with full camper top... Maybe another salt boat for shallow water- a bay boat... Yep, 7 boats- that's the bare minimum for me just to live.

jethro said:
kreature said:
Thanks Jethro!

It's a legitimate disease called twofootiteis! In advanced stages it becomes manyboatiteis- that's when you finally realize that the minimum number of boats you NEED is 5 or more. I'm there... a kayak, a small pickup truck-able jon boat, an easy to tow 14' aluminum deep V side console, a big 18 foot shallow water bass boat and a 20' fiberglass deep V center console for the salt. Oh, and don't forget a 24' tritoon and trailer, with full camper top... Maybe another salt boat for shallow water- a bay boat... Yep, 7 boats- that's the bare minimum for me just to live.

That's what I love about this site, like-minded people. In the last couple of years, I have gone from shore fishing to owning 3. Every time I get another one, someone asks me why? I love them all, each different, and not sure I could pick one over the other...it just depends on the day, and what I want to do in them. Would love to add a 24' tritoon as described!!

Latest posts