VALCO WESTCOASTER, MODEL B-12(?), WEIGHT?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdug

Reaction score
Just bought a 1884 12ft. Valco Westcoaster, welded hull. Trying to find out the actual weight of this hull. It is rated for 20 hp and maybe 25, the coastguard plate is hard to read .
Actual length is 12'5", beam is 66 1/2".
Also wondering if an Evinrude 15 will get it up on a plane. If that power is marginal, perhaps some prop other than the usual 9 1/2 x 10 will help?
Going to look over a 1992 Evinrude 15 on Monday that is said to be "real clean and runs well". Have you heard that before?
I will be seeing it run, checking the compression and looking at the lower unit lube. I'm thinking the compression should be north of 100 psi in both cylinders and reasonably close, top and bottom.
Your comments, please.
gdug

According to the JD Power website, the dry hull is 125#.

A 15 HP should get that boat on plane. If you have an option to get the max rated HP, then even better as long as the boat's capacity will handle it.

According to the JD Power website, the dry hull is 125#.

A 15 HP should get that boat on plane. If you have an option to get the max rated HP, then even better as long as the boat's capacity will handle it.
Thanks for that input. This Westcoaster seems somewhat heavier than that. On the other hand, I'm not as strong as I once was.
gdug