Want to buy a boat but worried

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still do this with cars as well as boats when I can find a good deal. Latest was a 2007 Tahoe LT that needed an engine fix due to the AFM lifter issue. Using it for my tow vehicle now.

I am also currently looking for a boat in the northeast and the prices are through the roof. Many of the lower priced boats i've seen have older engines, some better than others. The ads with the good engines will have close up picture of engine. What i've noticed is that old boats are like cars, some people take care of them and some people don't. The good ones are covered or overturned or in a garage, and some leave them out in the weather and are destroyed. If you see leaves and dirt inside check for rotting transom (rear wood) because it was probably out in the weather for the last 30 years. Good luck on your hunt!

Absolutely true! If I see leaves and junk inside I'ma gonna skip that one unless it's ridiculously cheap. Most messed up thing I run into is an old so-so tinny with a fancy newer 4 stroke on it. You buy a motor that's worth 3x what your boat is, you can keep it. Looks like crap and so unnecessary.

Absolutely true! If I see leaves and junk inside I'ma gonna skip that one unless it's ridiculously cheap. Most messed up thing I run into is an old so-so tinny with a fancy newer 4 stroke on it. You buy a motor that's worth 3x what your boat is, you can keep it. Looks like crap and so unnecessary.

Not following. Why is having a new motor on an old boat a bad thing?

I’ll venture to guess he’s trying to say folks have a motor to sell and a crap boat around they don’t want. So they package it. They sell motor and dump no good boat they need gone.

I’ll venture to guess he’s trying to say folks have a motor to sell and a crap boat around they don’t want. So they package it. They sell motor and dump no good boat they need gone.
That is done a lot on glassers, but tinnies?? Within reason, they are easy to repair !!

That is done a lot on glassers, but tinnies?? Within reason, they are easy to repair !!
True, but I’ve seen more than my share of Tinnies that are salvage yard fodder.

That might be. I guess it depends on the perspective. I personally would be much more capable and comfortable dealing with a hull vs a motor when it comes to either making repairs or knowing when to walk away.

Not following. Why is having a new motor on an old boat a bad thing?
Did you miss the looks crappy and unnecessary part of my response? It's not a bad thing, just looks weird. Unless your boat is like new it'll make your boat look worse too. If you have a nice vintage tinny, why not restore a vintage motor to go with it? I'm still looking for an older OMC motor for my Mirro, even though I have 2 motors for it already. I'd just love to have a 60s Jonnyrude 25-35 to complete the look. I'd think some of you older guys would follow what I'm saying. Keep your classic 100% classic!

Maybe it just comes down to taste, but I find new motors on old boats pretty unappealing. It just looks wrong.

Did you miss the looks crappy and unnecessary part of my response? It's not a bad thing, just looks weird. Unless your boat is like new it'll make your boat look worse too. If you have a nice vintage tinny, why not restore a vintage motor to go with it? I'm still looking for an older OMC motor for my Mirro, even though I have 2 motors for it already. I'd just love to have a 60s Jonnyrude 25-35 to complete the look. I'd think some of you older guys would follow what I'm saying. Keep your classic 100% classic!

Maybe it just comes down to taste, but I find new motors on old boats pretty unappealing. It just looks wrong.

Nope didn't miss it. If doing an old classic boat boat restoration is the goal then a new motor certainly isn't going to be an option. If the boat is for function and reliability then it could be a plus. Otherwise, I don't see it as crappy. I guess anything you can think of can be called unnecessary. I think you are right it is down to personal taste. To me it just looks like a new motor.

Making the product is the easy part, making them fit a modern engine and still looking like an original is the hard stuff.
Neat idea. Would take a substantial initial investment to make something that would be of decent quality. Would be a Very limited market and probably would never turn a profit.

One of my customers bought a 2009 Mercury 50 from me. Very nice, new looking motor.

They didn't like the look on their classic boat, so they got to work. They removed the decals and added chrome strips and fins to make the motor look like a vintage Mercury. In the end, the motor looked AMAZING! It still looked new, but looked vintage at the same time I'll have to see if I can find their pictures in my phone. I was seriously impressed!