War Eagle 648 v draft?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geauxfish11

Reaction score
I looked at a 648 War Eagle today and was surprised by how much I liked it. One thing I noticed does have me concerned. I run very shallow marshes in Louisiana so I need a boat that can run that too. To put it into perspective I had a 1436 tracker I have had to push pole out of places with it. My question is how much of a difference will the 8 degree v make in draft compared to a flat bottom. I also have a few other questions how fast can I expect to run with a 25hp evinrude etec? For those of you that own this boat and run 24v trolling motors where do you put the batteries?

I have a alumacraft tex special thats a mod v. I just bought it and only had it out 2 times so I dont know how shallow itll run but it sits pretty shalow in the water. Im pretty sure that the mod v is just as good as a flat bottom but they are more veratile from shallow rivers to choppy lakes. it should have a smother ride also.

I have the 648LDVS (think) and its a tank. I have not had it out since I bought it over the winter. Mine was bought used on e owner and the hull looks like new.
I have talked to allot of hunters and fisherman who swore by them and their hulls. These boats are made for the marsh first fishing second. Mine is a bassboat style with raised platforms, counsel steering etc.
I cant wait to get it out. I was talking about that model in another forum and a guy said he has had a 648 for 10 years and hulls 4 adult men to hunting blinds 50 days out of the season. He said it has bounced off stumps logs even jumped levees with out a ding in it. There are some youtube videos of guys jumping logs etc with War Eagles.
I think you will like it for sure.

Food for thought! I seen a vedio on youtube of a guy with a big boat running through a swampy looking woods type tarrain with a mud motor bouncing off trees. Don't know what Mindanao boat it was but it looked very well like a war eagle style. He hit a tree or stump and warded up the v on the front and it shows him with a sledge hammer straighting it back out so he could use his winch. Pretty cool video.

I used to have a 1542 Grumman, which was REAL lightweight (nothing in it, motorcycle battery, gallon of gas, etc. It drafted deeper than my 548 War Eagle does with a 40 lb Optima and 3 gal of fuel and the rest of the junk I usually carry. That should give you an idea. I typically run a couple of small rocky bottom rivers out here, one is deeper (3-5' deep typically, with a few areas that are as shallow as 8"), and the other is a real wide river...but real shallow. I've run wide open on it many times in a foot of water and only drug the skeg once, when coming off plane. The Grumman would drag constantly.

The ward boys build a good boat! I'm tickled with mine.