Water Pick up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Rider

Reaction score
My short shaft motor when I hammer down on it seems to cause the water pump to lose prime or suck air. I am good cruising but if I really get on her she stops peeing. I know the easy solution would be to lower my motor, but I can't. I was told by some flats fishermen to tape off the top half of my inlet screen to see if that would help. Just to watch so that it doesn't over heat. Has anyone had any experience with this? Or knows someone who tried this?

Purposely obstructed an inlet screen?

Not me.

That's a good way to drop water pressure and burn up your motor.

I think you can get a jack plate that would allow you to lower it some. If there isn't anything else you can do, I would just slow down. Running with your water pickup not under is a sure recipe for disaster.

Yeah I understand the dangers completely. I was just told that some people do that, and I thought i would see if any of you guys heard of such a thing. It is not a problem with me and the fat boy club in the boat, but with the ol lady she is substantially lighter so I don't sit as low. I will keep my speed to a minimum until I can find a cheap jack plate or material to make one to lower my engine back down.

On some of the high performance boats they block off the top 2 holes (total of 5)so the motor doesn't suck air.On these motors they have a water presure gauage so they know the motor is pumping water.

Wheres the anti-cavation plate in relation to the bottom of the hull?

Yeah I talked to the guys about their flats boat and got the low down on what they were talking about. They use Nedski foils which are for thier hole shots, but they also help direct water to the water inlet. I think I am just going to have to get me a jackplate. Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts