Welding - Can a 3/8” gap be welded?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossberg

Reaction score
I installed a new aluminum transom on a 1988 Bass Tracker Pro 17, which is a little thicker than the previous plywood transom which was rotted. After the install, there is now a 3/8” gap between the top brace/cap and the back of the transom.

I planned to have a welder tig weld the transom brace/cap back together. My question is this, can that 3/8” gap be welded or is it too wide where I will need to add some aluminum to fill the gap. I’ve attached some photos. It’s not 3/8” everywhere, just at the widest spots.

Attachments

• IMG_8494.jpeg
    IMG_8494.jpeg
    160.9 KB
  • IMG_8495.jpeg
    IMG_8495.jpeg
    180.1 KB
I installed a new aluminum transom on a 1988 Bass Tracker Pro 17, which is a little thicker than the previous plywood transom which was rotted. After the install, there is now a 3/8” gap between the top brace/cap and the back of the transom.

I planned to have a welder tig weld the transom brace/cap back together. My question is this, can that 3/8” gap be welded or is it too wide where I will need to add some aluminum to fill the gap. I’ve attached some photos. It’s not 3/8” everywhere, just at the widest spots.
It can be welded but you probably wouldn’t want to repair it that way. If you have a weld that wide it will likely crack from the constant movement of the boat. Especially aluminum. It might be better to fabricate a piece that overlays that area and then weld that up. It really needs to be stout since it’s at the transom. If you could find a local weld shop to look at it they might be able to offer a good fix. Good luck

II agree with Bill. Cut a filler piece, refab the entire part or trim the part to fit.

If this is a nice looking boat or you want it to be, I would refab one or both corner brackets. The old ones are looking a little beaten up.

Latest posts