West Virginia 1st/2nd trip

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowmanJon

Reaction score
Went out on the two best days this year so far here in WV....

Friday 3-19 Woodrum Lake, Jackson Co. WV Mid day temp 68F

Got the boat ready, started on the way to the lake and forgot my crappie case, then was about 4 miles outta town, forgot my license, after getting that resolved went to the launch. saw two guys with boats not working, it's about 1pm 65-68F, clears skys and good amount of wind...start fishing nothing bitting about 1hr into the fishing the battery dies...looks like its not holding it's charge this time around, wind is blowing us everywhere since we have to use the gas motor only the trolling might be able to mix choclate milk. They guy I took ,neighbor for almost all my life....lucked into a smll crappie and a good size bream. That was it for our trip nothing special

Saturday 3-20 Upper Mud River Lake, Lincolin Co. WV Mid day temp 76F

I happen to run into a buddy at the local gander mtn. and he invited me for the next morn. So I get up it's 46F at the house...throw on what would be appropiate, went to the launch, it's 36F there....my buddy is dress right but he lives 5mi away unlike my 1hr drive.So i decided to go, the lake is pretty stained/muddy at the launch. We made our way up towards the creek side of the impoundment where the water cleared up some....water temp was 50+- 1 and nothing was bitting....sun came out Water temp raised to 55+-1getting more bites but no takers (Crappie Jigs) finally connected caught two crappie one real nice size (for my local area) and one not so. My Buddy took 1 bass about 12in maybe. We packed it up at 2p and the lot was full, more full then I've seen it in the midle of spring/early summer.

Attachments

• JONCrappie3-20-10.jpg
    JONCrappie3-20-10.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 234
I would have took that one for the first of the year...I haven't even got the boat close to being ready to go out.

Do yo know what the water temps were at Woodrums?

No but the water was pretty stained out in the lake and more clear closer to the ramp, the temps at Upper Mud River Lake were 49-50.5 early in the morn and 55 at 2p woodrums seems cold then mud river, I'll be fishing the evenings for the next couple weeks as there was a notice in activity one the temp got up. Hopefully a couple weeks of warmer weather will put us in the spring spawn. Can't Wait.

You fish woodrums much?

JON

Nice report - at least you got all these problems out of the way early (yeah right!)

It will only get better from here on out

Hey! no prob...Love finiding local people on here...I'm going to try to get a couple more days in next week I get off at a decent time two days next week, one will be woodrums and the other might be mud just depends on what time I get out.

I drive a Red Landrover Discovery2 if you see me at either place, tinboats sticker on the back glass.

You go to mud often?

JON

SnowmanJon said:
Hey! no prob...Love finiding local people on here...I'm going to try to get a couple more days in next week I get off at a decent time two days next week, one will be woodrums and the other might be mud just depends on what time I get out.

I drive a Red Landrover Discovery2 if you see me at either place, tinboats sticker on the back glass.

You go to mud often?

JON

I've been there a few times and I built my jon conversion for beech fork and mud. My bassclub does a club tourny there in the summer. If you see a Maroon GMC Yukon Denali XL with a Ranger Boats and St Croix sticker on the backglass, that's me.

-Jim

Latest posts