What About a Triton? Need some quick opinions...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsuden

Reaction score
I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on what seems like a good rig at a good price, but would like to hear a few second opinions.

The combo is a mod vee 2005 Triton 1648 AW with 2005 25 HP Mercury Bigfoot, a Yacht Club trailer, Motor Guide "Brute 52" bow mount TM with foot control, large live well with aerator, dry storage, transom saver, battery, fire extinguisher, already modded with casting deck, pedestal mounts front and back (no seats, just the mounts), and fish finder. I have them down to $3750 for it. They'll let me take it out for a test drive on a local lake before purchasing, so I can confirm engine and boat performance.

Opinions?

Forgot to mention, the owner also put in a floor and carpeted the entire interior with some good, rugged-looking carpeting that looks nearly new. Regarding the motor, it is a pull-start with a tiller and gas-assisted hand tilt (no power tilt).

One more post coming with a couple pictures.

Photos of the boat...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370123224.999347.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370123224.999347.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 233
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370123272.370824.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370123272.370824.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 233
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370123440.720049.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370123440.720049.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 233
Sounds fair to me,going from the pictures you gave.(atleast where I'm from)
Looks real clean,might want to check the compression on the motor but you can take a test drive,should tell you if it's strong or not.

Thanks Zum. The sales guy said they ran compression on it and it passed already, but it might be interesting to know the numbers they got...*if* I knew what they meant. Are there any standards for that, as to what healthy compression should look like as a rating or a number or whatever?

Agreed, the test drive should also help tell the story.

Anybody else out there with a Triton who could tell me what sort of reputation their jon boats have? Tomorrow's test day, so I'd like to know as much as I can before I sign on the dotted line. :)

I just realized your the guy that was looking at the 1242.
I think this boat would work better(comfortable) with 2/3 people.

I not a mechanic but any numbers over 100 and within 10% of each other would make me feel good.