what is this for

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfh1177

Reaction score
So, I haven't really played around with the wiring on the boat i picked up. The trolling motor works but the nav lights and bilge do not. I'm going to update the switch panel eventually but what is this piece for? What's the purpose? Is it a fuse? Junction? I don't know. :?: It reads "BUSS CBP-50BA 12V H22 50A"

Thanks guys,
Mark

Attachments

• electric.jpg
    electric.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 540
You are going to have problems with that connection, if you can remove it and run a wire brush on it to get that rust out of it, Then you want to put a paste on the wires so it don't do that again. In the field we call it No-lox but I will try and find a link for you, That being rusted like that, it will fail on you, you will get no continuity from one wire to the other. You can buy a new block if this one falls apart on you. If you go to a electrical supply house or Lowe's they will have this paste you put on your wires so they don't corrode. I will look for a link for you on that paste

Here is something like what I am talking about, Go into Lowe's or Home Depot and ask the guy in the electrical isle you want a small tube of paste that is used for the aluminum connections in your home panel. They make small tubes of the stuff

https://www.sanchem.com/aSpecialE.html

Works great for bolts, it works likanti-seizeeize

Heres the stuff to use, it will work for copper also, that may have been around salt water??

https://www.lowes.com/pd_23853-12704-30-024R_0__?productId=3128291&Ntt=nolox&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dnolox&facetInfo=
I have a new block that I bought for my new motor but I enclose it into a WP electrical box and use connectors for the wire going in and out, that way you wont have a problem like this again.

Excellent ! Thanks Sgt! I'll be heading to Lowes within the next week. Spring cleaning with the wife this weekend :LOL2:

Also I find that if you are going to mess with thewiring on a boat you just bought. I have found that starting from scratch is the best way to go, this way you know its right. I have been a sparky for over 40 years now and beleive me this is the best way to go. I am sure you will find other problems that need attention, good luck and have fun, you can pm me any time

Here is onwe cheaper and free shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sea-285-Series-50-Amp-Thermal-Circuit-Breaker-7183-/221201135060?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item33809d75d4&vxp=mtr Go for it

If you are planning to keep the boat and have your family memebers in the boat with you, Then no its not over-kill, This way you know what you got, If you dont want to rewire the entire boat just go through it and make sure all your connections are clean and tight, Good Luck, Alway look at different places, Amazon I like but sometimes you get better deals