What size battery should I get

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEbowhunter1

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to boating and really don't know , I have a 55lb minn Kota trikling motor on a 1436 , I am going to be running the trolling motor alot since most the lakes I fish are electric only... What size battery would you recommend for me?

Size 27 should work for you. This would allow you to stay out all day pretty much and not have battery issues.
55 lbs is the largest draw you can have on a 12 volt motor.
You may be able to get by with less but you will never get stuck with too much reserve power.

At least a group 27 deep cycle or better yet a group 29 or bigger. It's always a good idea to have a backup, just in case.

Make sure you get a good battery charger designed to charge deep cycle batteries. At least a 10 amp or more charger that will automatically shutoff when done. Don't use a cheap trickle charger, that will just kill your battery in a short amount of time.

My local trout fishing hole is an electric only lake and my boat is rigged for it during trout season.
I have a MK 55lbs ipilot up front and MK 55lbs on the transom for a backup.
I run 2 group 29 Walmart batteries on a switch and can easily troll 8 to 10 hours on a windy day and up to 12 hours with no wind. I'll run down the first battery to about 60% and then switch it out for number 2. I always leave a little reserve in the first battery because there's nothing worse than being on the wrong side of the lake with a dead battery. Ask me how I found that out! :oops:

krawler said:
Make sure you get a good battery charger designed to charge deep cycle batteries. At least a 10 amp or more charger that will automatically shutoff when done. Don't use a cheap trickle charger, that will just kill your battery in a short amount of time.

I've never heard that trickle charging a deep cycle battery will kill it over time. Wow, so I need a 10amp or bigger charger to properly handle a deep cycle? Anyone else concur and/or have experience with this?...I guess I will return my trickle charger back to the store.

We fish electric lakes most of the time. I run 2 deep cycle batteries in our 1648 with a switch to power a 55lb TM. I went through one last Sunday in the wind.

We also have a decent on board charger.

Attachments

• 040311 002.jpg
    040311 002.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 523
  • 031211 004P.jpg
    031211 004P.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 523
I would go with a size 27 or 29. Or run 2 in paralell to. Get a lot of run time. I troll for trout and with a 30# motor I can go about 6 hours on a size 24 but only having the motor on 1 or 2.

:twisted: Go with a 31 series. Should be plenty for a 14' boat. I have two 31 series in parallel on a 16' Tracker. The 55lb MG still had plenty power after battling 6 1/2 hours of wind during a bass tournament.

A good battery charger is a must i have a 4 bank on board charger that has 10 amps per bank
the small trickle charger will charge your battery but it will take a long time to get it back to full power
if you run your battery way down the higher amp charger will help get it back to a full charge in a short amount of time.
look at the reserve minutes on the battery the size 27 should be okay but the 29 or 31 will be bigger but at a cost of extra weight

I have a minnkota edge 55 bow mount, and two group 29 batteries in parallel. I can fish the Mississippi River all day and still have battery left. Get a good charger as most have already stated. Mine is a minnkota 220D, 20 amps total and two banks. In other words 10 amps to each of the batteries.

304boy said:
I would go with a size 27 or 29. Or run 2 in paralell to. Get a lot of run time. I troll for trout and with a 30# motor I can go about 6 hours on a size 24 but only having the motor on 1 or 2.

I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused by this so I have to ask. You're giving out advice on which battery choices to go with in this thread, and 3 hours later you're asking the question below and apparently don't know the relationship between deep cycle and AGM. Did I miss something somewhere?

304boy said:
What battery should I get? AGM or deep cycle? I plan to run a fishfinder and trolling motor off it. I might be better off with 2 in parallel? Wwhat do you think?