Where do most people go to sell a used aluminum boat these days?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnfinds

Reaction score
About 8 years ago I inherited my dad's old boat. I wasn't sure if I was keeping it but its become the only boat I use now.
My 94 Starcraft SF14DLX just sits. I sold the motor last year figuring since i moved here we can only use a trolling motor, i didn't have any use for a gas motor.
I've used it once since I started using my dads old boat.

My question is, where's the best place to sell it?
I'm not letting go of the trailer, I built that myself and had it hot galvanized in 2009, its worth more than the boat.

I was all set to list it for $1,500 then saw several boat dealers selling similar boats for $2,100 with no trailer, or $3,400 with a used trailer.
Mine is nicer than any I've seen listed. Mine is a walk through middle bench with livewell, dual battery tray and a 35hp max hp rating.
(I ran a 1985 15hp Johnson on it back in PA). Gas motors are a no no in fresh water here to I sold the old motor a year ago and have been running my old 3hp Minn Kota, sometimes two of them in the ponds here.

I priced a new boat just like it and the best deal I found was a left over 2022 model 150 miles away for $4,699 on clearance, or a 2020 model for $100 less.
Mine is a 1992, and has never seen saltwater. Its only been wet once since I came here 8 years ago. Since my dad's old boat was still tagged, I just kept using it and transferred my name onto it It was cheaper then a new registration. I did change the title over for the 14ft, so its not an out of state title but it still needs NJ numbers put on it yet but that'll be the next owners task. I was actually just going to hand paint them on after two local sign shops wanted $80 or more for a pair of 3 1/2" tall boat numbers.

I have to say I was bit shocked at what they want for a new boat or even a used boat now, let alone $1,799 for a 14ft boat trailer for the cheapest lightest one they sell. One dealer had complete 14ft boat, 9,9hp motor, and trailer packages on sale for $10,200. I paid $1,999 for mine, boat, motor, and trailer in 1994 as a left over.
One dealer told me he don't sell used boats he scraps them because they're more trouble than their worth paperwork wise. (NJ changed the DMV process so now trailers need to be weighed before you can register them unless you have the original CO, which in the past, the DMV took in lieu of your registration card.
I had never thought I'd sell my 14ft but its not doing me any good sitting under a tarp in the back yard and I can only use one at a time. I'll miss it but I'll likely never use it again so long as I've got a 40hp 16ft boat right next to it that can get me to where the bigger fish are here. I also have gotten to like the side console vs tiller steer on the 16ft too. Not to mention electric start.

What would you ask for a 14ft Starcraft these days?

First thing that comes to mind is CL, I bought both of my Jon boats off of CL, and a couple of buddies also bought boats off CL if available in your area, "paper shop" is another option.
As for asking price, that's for you to decide, I would look at the average price of that particular model boat and go from there
As for the boat #'s, just go to a local hardware store and get the letters and #'s, that's what's on mine and a lot of others!

Facebook marketplace is the best IMO. You can message each other through the facebook messenger app so no need to share emails or phone numbers until you feel the buyer/seller is serious and trustworthy, or not at all if you you stick to just using messenger. If you are a frequent seller, you can build up reviews which can help you sell stuff easier. The thing I like the best is going to the facebook profile of the person trying to buy from me or the seller of an item I am looking at. I hate to judge a book by it's cover sometimes based on their initial message and a quick scan of their profile you can just tell they are going to be flaky so it kind of helps you weed through the tire kickers.

I strongly prefer the CL format over FB, all I ever got here on FB was scammers and "Is this still available" messages that never follow up.
I've never once had anyone respond to me there either as a buyer. Either all the ads are fake of they list for sport.
On CL, I generally google their name or phone number before answering, usually you can tell if their for real or just a scammer collecting phone numbers or email addresses for some mailing list. Lately it seems ever response off CL leads to 30 sales calls from Solar panel companies looking to sign up the next victim.

I own an SF14 myself, its been my electric only boat and my go out by myself days boat. With a 35hp tiller on it it flat out flies and is likely one of the best boats I've ever owned. Mine is still on the original floor and transom wood after 30 years.
I'd take the older models over the newer models any day, the later boats were not as well built and made from thinner metal. I bought mine from a guy who got too old to use it when it was four years old. I gave $800 for it with a junk trailer, I put mine on an older trailer that I had rebuilt for the boat I had before it.

For me, the rule of thumb for anything used is half of new, then minus for any issues. I can't see any step through SF14 selling for less than $2,000 in this economy, it'll take you twice that and then some to replace it and then you still won't have the same quality boat you have now.
I kick myself for selling my 1974 Seafarer 14 but I do like the step through middle bench and the wider transom on the 90's models.

Sounds like a nice boat. From what you say, you are eliminating your only option for fresh water. If that isn't an issue, then from your comments it sounds like your comparable without a trailer is in the $2,000 range. I would think it will be harder to sell without a trailer.

Sounds like a nice boat. From what you say, you are eliminating your only option for fresh water. If that isn't an issue, then from your comments it sounds like your comparable without a trailer is in the $2,000 range. I would think it will be harder to sell without a trailer.
I've got too much time and money into that trailer to let it go and no one will pay what I've got in it in time building it and getting it properly galvanized.
I built a trailer that uses full size wheels to fit a 16ft boat out of open c channel with an all welded frame and sliding axle after I got tired of trailers rusting out every 10 years.

I want to use it under the 16ft boat, and then sell off the roller trailer that its on now. the roller trailer won't work under the 14ft boat. I don't mind the roller trailer but its a lot of added weight and a bit of overkill for an aluminum boat. Besides it'll free up some space in the yard.

The dealer isn't selling boats on trailers, if you want a boat, the trailer is $1,700 extra plus tax and tags.
I hadn't realized how crazy the prices got over the past couple years for trailers either. They literally went up over a grand since I last looked two years ago.

I strongly prefer the CL format over FB, all I ever got here on FB was scammers and "Is this still available" messages that never follow up.
I've never once had anyone respond to me there either as a buyer. Either all the ads are fake of they list for sport.
On CL, I generally google their name or phone number before answering, usually you can tell if their for real or just a scammer collecting phone numbers or email addresses for some mailing list. Lately it seems ever response off CL leads to 30 sales calls from Solar panel companies looking to sign up the next victim.

I own an SF14 myself, its been my electric only boat and my go out by myself days boat. With a 35hp tiller on it it flat out flies and is likely one of the best boats I've ever owned. Mine is still on the original floor and transom wood after 30 years.
I'd take the older models over the newer models any day, the later boats were not as well built and made from thinner metal. I bought mine from a guy who got too old to use it when it was four years old. I gave $800 for it with a junk trailer, I put mine on an older trailer that I had rebuilt for the boat I had before it.

For me, the rule of thumb for anything used is half of new, then minus for any issues. I can't see any step through SF14 selling for less than $2,000 in this economy, it'll take you twice that and then some to replace it and then you still won't have the same quality boat you have now.
I kick myself for selling my 1974 Seafarer 14 but I do like the step through middle bench and the wider transom on the 90's models.
So as someone who has done this myself on accident many times, what you are getting is someone who looked at your ad and fat thumbed the quick reply option that says "is this still available?". It's a one click thing. Whenever I do it, if I even catch it, I send another message saying it was an accident. It's a poor design by Facebook to not pull up messenger and make you confirm you want to send it.

So as someone who has done this myself on accident many times, what you are getting is someone who looked at your ad and fat thumbed the quick reply option that says "is this still available?". It's a one click thing. Whenever I do it, if I even catch it, I send another message saying it was an accident. It's a poor design by Facebook to not pull up messenger and make you confirm you want to send it.
I used to think the same thing but most of those Is it still available are now followed by "Send me your phone number" or 'I need your address for my Shipper' .

I started listing on FB in 2020 during the shutdown, I listed about 100 items or so and sold zero.
It was a crapshoot between scammers or those who wanted it for free or some rediculous trade.
I've also tried to buy a few items there but never once got a real reply. The few replies i did get were all refused to tell me where they were or give me a contact number.
One guy was selling a motorcycle, about 40 miles from here. I had cash, my trailer was hooked up and I was ready to leave but the guy would not give me a number or an address. He was being vague telling me he'd meet me 'near' the diner on the corner and from there we can go see the bike. I asked him for a phone number so I can call when i get there or if I got lost and he refused. I got fed up trying to deal with an idiot so I told him to keep it. I got the impression something was wrong where he didn't want me to know where he lived.

A few ads I answered because they were cheap ended up giving me crackhead seller vibes so I just forgot about them.

CL here is completely dead, and if its not dirt cheap, they won't make an offer, and if its cheap enough they can afford it, they want it for half of what ever you listed it for.
Out of 219 replies in the last 5 years on CL has yielded me four sales. None yet this year.
I've listed a dozen outboards, five aluminum boats, and several trolling motors and got nothing.

I did sell two bald truck tires for $10, which was better than paying $5 each to get rid of them. the guy who bought them said 'bald is better than cords showing so he's good for another few months'.

I'm convinced the money is gone here. If its not something they can put on their cc and make payments on for the next 30 years they can't afford it.

A buddy has been trying to sell a 20,000 Snapon tool box for $8k cash and has gotten only one $200 offer and a ton of nasty psycho type emails from guys who can't afford it. Probably the same guys who sign their life away for a new box off the Snapon truck for $30k for $10 a week for the rest of their lives.

I haven't had a response to an ad on CL or Fb all year that wasn't a scammer or someone mining for personal info to sell.
A buddy that sells on ebay said that's been dead too, he strips and sells outboard parts and hasn't had a sale in three months.

There's a boat for sale about a mile from me out on the highway, its a later model Alumacraft with a floor and side console, about 14ft long with a 9.9hp Johnson motor, bow mount trolling motor, and a galvanized trailer. The signs says Have titles, runs, $800. Its been out there since Easter under one of those tin carports. The boat looks decent but even if it needed everything, how could it not be worth $800? The motor parts alone are worth more than that.
I've never once seen anyone looking at it either.

I called the number and talked to the guy, he's got all the paperwork, bought it new and hasn't been able to use it due to age, in two years. It sounded like he don't have a computer or cell phone so its not online but its a busy highway all day long.

Maybe will improve if the election goes better than the last one did.

Don’t let these post scare you about dealing on market place. I’ve bought and sold lots of things on market place that were nice smooth deals. Scammers are very easy to spot with one or two communications. Most of the people I’ve done deals with are decent folks. I’ve sold 90% of the items I’ve listed, including boats. Of course people are going to haggle price, that’s all part of it. Why get insulted at a lowball offer, You can’t blame a guy for trying. Just chuckle and move on. If you list your item higher than comparable items you really can’t expect to get many responses. You have to be realistic.

I'd never join facebook total waste of time and there's no way I'd post my name or any personal info online.
Make up a fake name or something and post no pics. Too many psychos these days.

The few times i tried to buy something on FB I got no reply, a buddy listed a few things for me but nothing ever sells. He got nothing but scammers and low ball offers.

CL has been better but its dead slow lately, no money there either it seems.
The woman across the road from me does ebay, she's got 10k items listed all the time, she told me the other day she's not had a sale in a week now. She usually has the mail guy there picking up packages for a hour but lately she said no one is shopping or spending money.

Use both FB and CL, they don't have exclusions clauses.

There has been a fresh water, low hour, 2015 15 dlx with motor and trailer up hear for sale for a while for 4795. Just not the best time to sell a boati.

In the spring it would last a couple days.

Hard to sell a boat without a trailer too.

Id be happy with a couple k.

Or... You've been sitting on it. Sit a little longer, find a cheap trailer, maybe a tiller motor...

Best of luck.

CL and FB. In person ONLY.

Don't give them your full legal name or address. Give them an address to a business or park NEAR your home, and meet them there, or have them follow you back to your house.

I buy/sell a lot. It's probably the easiest way to sell for the best price. It's also a great way to buy.

About 8 years ago I inherited my dad's old boat. I wasn't sure if I was keeping it but its become the only boat I use now.
My 94 Starcraft SF14DLX just sits. I sold the motor last year figuring since i moved here we can only use a trolling motor, i didn't have any use for a gas motor.
I've used it once since I started using my dads old boat.

My question is, where's the best place to sell it?
I'm not letting go of the trailer, I built that myself and had it hot galvanized in 2009, its worth more than the boat.

I was all set to list it for $1,500 then saw several boat dealers selling similar boats for $2,100 with no trailer, or $3,400 with a used trailer.
Mine is nicer than any I've seen listed. Mine is a walk through middle bench with livewell, dual battery tray and a 35hp max hp rating.
(I ran a 1985 15hp Johnson on it back in PA). Gas motors are a no no in fresh water here to I sold the old motor a year ago and have been running my old 3hp Minn Kota, sometimes two of them in the ponds here.

I priced a new boat just like it and the best deal I found was a left over 2022 model 150 miles away for $4,699 on clearance, or a 2020 model for $100 less.
Mine is a 1992, and has never seen saltwater. Its only been wet once since I came here 8 years ago. Since my dad's old boat was still tagged, I just kept using it and transferred my name onto it It was cheaper then a new registration. I did change the title over for the 14ft, so its not an out of state title but it still needs NJ numbers put on it yet but that'll be the next owners task. I was actually just going to hand paint them on after two local sign shops wanted $80 or more for a pair of 3 1/2" tall boat numbers.

I have to say I was bit shocked at what they want for a new boat or even a used boat now, let alone $1,799 for a 14ft boat trailer for the cheapest lightest one they sell. One dealer had complete 14ft boat, 9,9hp motor, and trailer packages on sale for $10,200. I paid $1,999 for mine, boat, motor, and trailer in 1994 as a left over.
One dealer told me he don't sell used boats he scraps them because they're more trouble than their worth paperwork wise. (NJ changed the DMV process so now trailers need to be weighed before you can register them unless you have the original CO, which in the past, the DMV took in lieu of your registration card.
I had never thought I'd sell my 14ft but its not doing me any good sitting under a tarp in the back yard and I can only use one at a time. I'll miss it but I'll likely never use it again so long as I've got a 40hp 16ft boat right next to it that can get me to where the bigger fish are here. I also have gotten to like the side console vs tiller steer on the 16ft too. Not to mention electric start.

What would you ask for a 14ft Starcraft these days?
A nice 14-footer w/9.9 and trailer around here (NE Ohio) is $2500 and up. Condition means more than age.

I have two buddies with 14-footers for sale right now. One has a very short transom, the other is like yours, split bench, walk-through, storage and live-well, only a 9.9 tiller. Both are asking $3k, not advertised, but not sold either.

I picked up my 16' Lowe (Lunker II, fully open, tiller), 15 hp electric-start Merc, bow-mount troller, and a trailer that needs work for $3k.

Been looking for over two years. Decent boats at decent prices are tough to find. New is ridiculous.

FWIW, I find Facebook a complete waste of time. Craigslist or Boat Trader.

A buddy has been trying to sell a 20,000 Snapon tool box for $8k cash and has gotten only one $200 offer and a ton of nasty psycho type emails from guys who can't afford it. Probably the same guys who sign their life away for a new box off the Snapon truck for $30k for $10 a week for the rest of their lives.

Taking a slight detour from the topic. I am sure Snap-on makes terrific tools and storage cabinets. I don't care what logo is on the side, there is no way I would pay $8,000 much less $20,000 for a tool cabinet. I would get one at Tractor Supply or something instead. Might not be as good, or have the logo appeal, but at 1/20th the cost, I'll live with it.

Sorry for the hi-jack.

Sold mine on FB Marketplace. Listed in the late fall, had a few inquiries and then about the end of March, They swarmed me. Had people calling left and right. Sold it to the second guy that actually came out to look at it and had 3 phone calls to make after he gave me a down payment to hold it till the following week and he could get his load paperwork through the bank and a cashiers check.

Found my 'driveway queen' on FB marketplace as it was just listed and was the first to see it and happened to have a benjamin to hold it much to the unhappiness of the many who called after me.

It has been sitting long enough to be on google earth so the carpet was trash so I stripped it down and sanded the flat aluminum floor clean and primed, painted and re-carpeted with a remnant from Home cheapo

Most professional shops will not allow a guy to have a cheap box, their insurance won't cover it.
A buddies son has been going through factory training for Ford, the program includes a 10 week on/off schedule between classes and work at the dealer who sponsors you. It costs them $5,800 per 10 week semester and after about four years you come out with a degree in "Automotive Technologies" which is about useless anywhere but there. They pay them the going starting rate for an 'A' rate technician, which is about $19/hr. and they top out at around $22/hr if they stay for enough years.

The program gives them their basic tools but they're responsible for uniforms, union dues, diagnostic equipment, and consumables. (sandpaper, tape, solder, gloves, etc.)

Many shops dictate the type of tool box, generally it has to be a 'truck' bought box, with a known security reputation. Color and size is also sometimes an issue. One neighbor who works at the Toyota dealer just paid $34,000 for a new box, its on a $45/wk payment plan, which is on top of the $51k he already owes Snapon, and the $11k he owes Matco, and the personal loan he took out to update his scan tool software for the current model year.

Those updates run between $5k and $30k depending on whether its brand specific or covering many brands. Next year they were old that they will need to completely update to a new scanner to cover EV's and other brand models that they often see as trade ins despite not selling an EV there themselves.
I think he's 38, and has been doing that for over 10 years.
He had been a truck driver before that but lost his CDL due to being diabetic with some other issues.

Theft of tools and tool boxes is a real issue in some areas, one dealer I worked at out of high school had about 15 tool boxes stolen over the three years I worked there. The mechanics were only there for 5 days a week, but the shop was wide open all weekend and it often went unnoticed if someone pulled in and loaded up a tool box or two. Even then, in the 80's the average guy had $50k or more in tools not counting the box.

I got out of the whole dealership and automotive scene in the 90's because pay wasn't going up any, they were stuck in the 80's at best pay wise. Now 30 years later they're making less. They upped the min. wage to $15/hr, but they dropped all the higher paid guys to make up for it.
Now guys who are sweeping the floor make the same or more than the guys changing oil, tires and doing alignments.We topped out at $28/hr in 1995, today most guys there are maxed out at $21/hr and they have more tools to buy, more electronic diag tools to update and all training is now done off the clock on the employee's time. That makes training on existent.

Training level no longer correlates to pay level because its nothing more than an online video and quiz. Its one of the main reasons I left, they wanted us to do 4hrs of training every week to maintain their dealer rating but they didn't pay for it. You can't learn how to assemble a transmission by watching a video once and consider that 'trained' no more than you can watch a video about flying a jet and consider yourself a pilot.

I feel sorry for anyone these days that gets a new vehicle with real problems because chances are the tech working on it is far from experienced. Most guys who are really good techs don't stay very long, they're smart enough to get out and find a job that don't cost you so much to do.

Most professional shops will not allow a guy to have a cheap box, their insurance won't cover it.
A buddies son has been going through factory training for Ford, the program includes a 10 week on/off schedule between classes and work at the dealer who sponsors you. It costs them $5,800 per 10 week semester and after about four years you come out with a degree in "Automotive Technologies" which is about useless anywhere but there. They pay them the going starting rate for an 'A' rate technician, which is about $19/hr. and they top out at around $22/hr if they stay for enough years.

The program gives them their basic tools but they're responsible for uniforms, union dues, diagnostic equipment, and consumables. (sandpaper, tape, solder, gloves, etc.)

Many shops dictate the type of tool box, generally it has to be a 'truck' bought box, with a known security reputation. Color and size is also sometimes an issue. One neighbor who works at the Toyota dealer just paid $34,000 for a new box, its on a $45/wk payment plan, which is on top of the $51k he already owes Snapon, and the $11k he owes Matco, and the personal loan he took out to update his scan tool software for the current model year.

Those updates run between $5k and $30k depending on whether its brand specific or covering many brands. Next year they were old that they will need to completely update to a new scanner to cover EV's and other brand models that they often see as trade ins despite not selling an EV there themselves.
I think he's 38, and has been doing that for over 10 years.
He had been a truck driver before that but lost his CDL due to being diabetic with some other issues.

Theft of tools and tool boxes is a real issue in some areas, one dealer I worked at out of high school had about 15 tool boxes stolen over the three years I worked there. The mechanics were only there for 5 days a week, but the shop was wide open all weekend and it often went unnoticed if someone pulled in and loaded up a tool box or two. Even then, in the 80's the average guy had $50k or more in tools not counting the box.

I got out of the whole dealership and automotive scene in the 90's because pay wasn't going up any, they were stuck in the 80's at best pay wise. Now 30 years later they're making less. They upped the min. wage to $15/hr, but they dropped all the higher paid guys to make up for it.
Now guys who are sweeping the floor make the same or more than the guys changing oil, tires and doing alignments.We topped out at $28/hr in 1995, today most guys there are maxed out at $21/hr and they have more tools to buy, more electronic diag tools to update and all training is now done off the clock on the employee's time. That makes training on existent.

Training level no longer correlates to pay level because its nothing more than an online video and quiz. Its one of the main reasons I left, they wanted us to do 4hrs of training every week to maintain their dealer rating but they didn't pay for it. You can't learn how to assemble a transmission by watching a video once and consider that 'trained' no more than you can watch a video about flying a jet and consider yourself a pilot.

I feel sorry for anyone these days that gets a new vehicle with real problems because chances are the tech working on it is far from experienced. Most guys who are really good techs don't stay very long, they're smart enough to get out and find a job that don't cost you so much to do.

That is enlightening. Do the dealers get a kick-back from the truck tool guys?