Who has been to Canada?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSimon

Reaction score
This isn't really a fishing report, but oh well.

I'm curious who has taken a fishing trip(s) to Canada? I'd love to hear your stories ... where you went, what you caught, any fun adventures to share?

I went a half dozen times when I was a kid. My grandfather took us in his motorhome. I went again a few years ago and am currently planning a trip for next Spring. Doing the planning for the trip is a lot of fun, and it got me wondering if anyone else has Canada stories to share. Anyone?

Well, I live in Canada - Southern Ontario to be exact.

There are too many great fishing opportunities to list here. From Pennsylvania you are a day's drive from some pretty awesome fishing. Or, you could take one of the many back-country adventures that are available.

Here is one fly-in trip to Hastie Lake that I have heard many good things about - https://www.lauzonaviation.com/camp.php?ID=19

When I was a kid growing up in Northern Ontario my dad would take me on canoe trips to lakes that had never been fished. We would anchor the rods on shore and my dad would paddle out to the middle of the lake and drop a live minnoe on a sinker to the bottom of the lake. We caught some tropy lake trout in those days. They would be in the frying pan within minutes of being caught!

I guess it all depends on what kind of a trip you are looking for? If you have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

I WENT FISHING TO CANADA IN FALL OF 1999, MY UNCLE AND AUNT TOOK ME FOR MY GRADUATION PRESENT, I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO GO BACK AGAIN, WE WENT TO UPPER QUEBEC, ABOUT A 16 HR DRIVE FROM OHIO LAKE O'SULLIVAN, CAUGHT MY FIRST PIKE THERE, NEVER SEEN WATER SOO CLEAR, WATCHED WALLEYES PICK UP MY JIGS IN 30' OF WATER, JUST WONDERFUL, WATCHED MY AUNT CATCK LIL PIKE ON TOPWATER AND SQUEAL EVERYTIME THEY WOULD HIT, RUINED FISHING IN OHIO FOR ME FOR ABOUT A YEAR, BUT I WOULD GO BACK IN A HEART BEAT... GOOD TIMES, ILL SEE IF I CAN FIND MY PICS AND PUT THEM ON HERE.

BaitCaster said:
Well, I live in Canada - Southern Ontario to be exact.

There are too many great fishing opportunities to list here. From Pennsylvania you are a day's drive from some pretty awesome fishing. Or, you could take one of the many back-country adventures that are available.

Here is one fly-in trip to Hastie Lake that I have heard many good things about - https://www.lauzonaviation.com/camp.php?ID=19

When I was a kid growing up in Northern Ontario my dad would take me on canoe trips to lakes that had never been fished. We would anchor the rods on shore and my dad would paddle out to the middle of the lake and drop a live minnoe on a sinker to the bottom of the lake. We caught some tropy lake trout in those days. They would be in the frying pan within minutes of being caught!

I guess it all depends on what kind of a trip you are looking for? If you have any questions I would be happy to try and answer them.

I completely agree that there are many different kinds of trips. Mild to wild. I've experienced quite a few of the options ... fly-ins, American plan lodges, lakeside campgrounds, taking 4x4s back logging roads to smaller lakes. Its ALL awesome. But the one thing I've never done is hike/portage/bushwack back into an incredibly remote small lake and canoe/camp/fish there for a week. I'm thinking about looking into that option. What an adventure it would be!

I go on that site once an awhile,this on also.
Check out this outing or maybe you already have.
https://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45211

I went 8 or 10 years ago to Lake Nipissing in Northern Ontario. We were so stoked to go to Canada after hearing about everyones incredible adventures. We chose that particular lake because it was featured in a Field & Stream mag as being a premier trophy muskie lake. After we had fished for a few days and having no luck except small pike we started talking to the locals. They told us that there were some huge muskies in that lake and they would typically hear of a big one being caught at least once a season. Lol, not quite the premier muskie lake we thought we were going to. We spent the rest of the trip fishing for walleye. The walleye fishing was incredible but nothing more than I can do in Erie and its only 2 hours from me. Still had a good time and it was a beautiful lake, just not the fishing experience we were looking for.

I'd love to go back to Canada on another fishing adventure now that I have more fishing knowledge!!

My family has been making a yearly trip to the Rideau Canal System for 10+ years now. We have enjoyed it so much that we just bought a vacation home up there. The lake system we fish (6 Lakes all connected by channels) is roughly a 4.5 hour trip from Northeastern PA. Very healthy largemouth population, good number of smallies in the 2-3 pound range, with the occasional 4-5 pounder not being uncommon. Northern Pike in the 2-3 foot range are plentiful... someone caught a 12 pound Northern the other week! The best part is that if you somehow manage to get tired of all the spots to fish (doubtful with 6,500 acres of water and over 100 miles of shoreline), you can go though the locks to several other lakes in the system - I believe it takes 7 days to navigate from one side of the system to the other by boat. The particular section of water that we fish is roughly 30 miles northwest of the Thousand Islands Bridge.

If you had any interest in exploring the area, there are several resorts/camps that you can stay at. Stirling's Lodge and Poplar's Resort are the top 2 that come to mind.

drove to flin flon and fished my back to north dakota . destroyed two fly rods on huge northerns the size of my leg . the pas was ausome . boatloads of walleye on crankbaits in the red river north of winnepeg . DRIVE , if you can. its incredible .

srr5008 said:
My family has been making a yearly trip to the Rideau Canal System for 10+ years now. We have enjoyed it so much that we just bought a vacation home up there. The lake system we fish (6 Lakes all connected by channels) is roughly a 4.5 hour trip from Northeastern PA. Very healthy largemouth population, good number of smallies in the 2-3 pound range, with the occasional 4-5 pounder not being uncommon. Northern Pike in the 2-3 foot range are plentiful... someone caught a 12 pound Northern the other week! The best part is that if you somehow manage to get tired of all the spots to fish (doubtful with 6,500 acres of water and over 100 miles of shoreline), you can go though the locks to several other lakes in the system - I believe it takes 7 days to navigate from one side of the system to the other by boat. The particular section of water that we fish is roughly 30 miles northwest of the Thousand Islands Bridge.

If you had any interest in exploring the area, there are several resorts/camps that you can stay at. Stirling's Lodge and Poplar's Resort are the top 2 that come to mind.

We've been going for years up to Sand lake in Elgin thats part of the Rideau system. We never did venture to any other lakes through the locks but that be something cool to do sometime. Lucky you to have a vacation home there......i'm jealous.

Smells Fishy said:
We've been going for years up to Sand lake in Elgin thats part of the Rideau system. We never did venture to any other lakes through the locks but that be something cool to do sometime. Lucky you to have a vacation home there......i'm jealous.

I'm spoiled rotten, and I'll admit it :mrgreen: How's the fishing down in Sand Lake? We just ventured down as far as Opinicon Lake last weekend for the fist time - Sand Lake was one more lock down from Opinicon I believe (our house is located on Benson Lake). If you do ever decide to venture to the other lakes to try fishing, I highly recommend Newboro Lake, back behind Channel Island in all of those little coves. Just watch for shoals if you head up that far - there's some tricky spots if you're not familiar with the water.

I feel lucky to just have the chance to go yearly. We'll be going up at the end of august into sept. The fishing is pretty good but that time of year the weather always seems different each year. I love cove fishing so maybe we'll dedicate a day checking it out. I have a 16" G3 mod v with 40 jet ( kind of a river rig) but works just fine on the lakes. Thanks for the heads up.

I live in western Canada in Alberta and we have lakes but you'll have to go north,way north..., but i know the best kept secret in Canadian (if not the world :!: ) fishing ...and it is in the province of Saskachewan,the northern lakes .Water super clear,fish that are as fresh as they can be due to deep water,calm water...a fisherman's paradise.Next summer we hope to make a run east to fish in Saskachewan.
Welcome to Canada,
Dan

Latest posts