why use a braker box or fuse panel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfh1177

Reaction score
So…this is probably a dumb question but why or is it necessary to have a breaker/fuse box? When I wired my last glass boat I installed a new switch panel and wired the nav lights, deck lights, fish finder, depth finder, bildge pump and stereo to the panel and the panel to the battery. The only thing that had a fuse was the radio I think. I never really used it though. Everything worked fine. What’s the reasoning behind the breaker or fuse box? As you might have guessed, I know very little about this subject.

I have a new (used) Alumacraft that I’m in the very early stages of planning out the mod and want to do everything right that I can. Are they used to protect the equipment?

To keep your boat from catching fire when something inevitably goes wrong with the wired device or a short circuit occurs. Melted burning wires are not your friend in a boat.

Fire.

Fuses & breakers aren't designed to protect the device, they are designed to protect the wire going to the device. A blown fuse will prevent the wire from melting / burning if you have something go wrong with a circuit, and should be placed close to the power source.

So, for example, if you are going to run a lead from the battery to supply a fuse panel, then you should have a breaker on that supply lead to protect it. The fuse panel will protect all downstream circuits.

cfh Don't be afraid to ask questions that is how we all learn things. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.