widening a boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandgeek1263

Reaction score
If you wanted to, say, hypothetically speaking, widen a semi v boat a few inches, couldn't you just remove the seats, brace accordingly a few inches wider, then rebuck any loose rivets? this would create a lessened depth overall, according to my calculations. (looking at a scale model can do a LOT)

If this creates an unsafe boat, by all means tell me. The free boat I am getting is about 50 inches wide and I think its stable for decking. I have already spent four days straight fishing out of it so I know I can stand and walk around, but it could be more stable. If it helps, its an OLD Feathercraft. I will take some pictures for reference when I get it on Wednesday.

Nope.

It will pull the bow and stern up like a banana... if it doesn't break the welds there or buckle the floor down the middle first.

Stability on a jon boat has as much to do with the width of your floor as it does the width of your beam.

The floor is right about the same as the beam. But... even like 2 inches on each side? Wouldn't this possibly happen on accident if you were taking the seats out and building decks?

It better not happen on accident or you have no business building your own decks. :lol:

Your hull is designed to a set dimension. Anything other than that is going to impart stresses in it that it was not designed for.

any of yall rember the feller that cut 2 boats in half to make 1 extra wide one? the thread is around here some wheres, it was pretty cool

Jim said:
Loggerhead Mike said:
any of yall rember the feller that cut 2 boats in half to make 1 extra wide one? the thread is around here some wheres, it was pretty cool
:LOL2:

The thread above yours?

I actually think that there was another one where there were two boats used. I remember the thing looked like a floating dock when he was finished because it was about as wide as it was long. :lol:

Yeah. I remember something like that where someone called it a barge. I don't know, but I don't have a welder so thats not in my future. Oh well :-|

The thing is, my cousin rented it to me until I'm 21. Then, if its still usable, I have to give it back. I'm not sure if he was serious, but I'll probably just settle on this one. Its comfortable enough, and seems like decent place for me to start.

Quackrstackr said:
Jim said:
Loggerhead Mike said:
:LOL2:

The thread above yours?

I actually think that there was another one where there were two boats used. I remember the thing looked like a floating dock when he was finished because it was about as wide as it was long. :lol:

Yeah you're right,but that's been a while

Latest posts