Will this fit on a 20" transom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarobi

Reaction score
Hi all!

I searched and found good info on this topic, but still a bit fuzzy to me. This is a 1981 25HP Johnson, runs like a banshee with her hair on fire. Measurements:

-Cavitation plate to where shaft housing bolts to powerhead is @ 20.5 inches
-Cavitation plate is @ 2 - 2.5 inches below bottom of hull.

Thanks!

Attachments

• johnny.jpg
    johnny.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 932
What is your transom lenghth? ( top of transom to botom of boat )

What is the shaft length? (cav plat to where the motor rests on transom)

These measurements should be within an inch of each other...in the ideal world...

That is a short shaft motor, and isn't designed to work on a long shaft transom. Many of the older engines will run be a little longer than the 15 and 20, often closer to 18 and 23, but they are done like that for a reason.

Ok, next annoying question. The reason I'm asking, I intend to buy the hull I want and run the johnny on it until I can find a 40 HP jet. It will not work as in, unsafe? Water inlet too high? Cav plate would be @ 2" above the hull bottom.

IMO which probably isn't worth much, it depends on what you are trying to do with it. Say if you had the 25 and just want to push yourself around with it then yeah I would say you could make do for a while until you get your jet. If your trying to win a poker run, then of course the answer is of course no way.

I have a short shaft (1981) Johnson 7.5 hp that I sometimes clamp on the side of my 22" transom for use on some local lakes with 10hp limits. The water intake for the cooling is well below the water line at all times (even with me, my black lab, and a fat girl in the bow of the boat :mrgreen: ) although the cavitation plate is above the bottom of the hull.

And with that said it pushes my 52" wide at the bottom 14' semi-v starcraft along at a relaxing pace. I wouldn't challenge a guy with spikey bleached hair driving a baja to a race with it, but I don't worry about running my batteries dead on the other side of the lake and having to paddle back, or worse yet ask someone for a tow back to the docks and ramp.

Again, if the water inlet stays below the water with yourself, a big dog, and a fat girl in the bow you should be alright IMO. If you want to be quadruple sure put your case of beer in the bow also as you do the test, then you know that even if the fat girl drinks all the beer and eats you and the dog, she can still go up to the bow without damaging your motor.

glad to see I'm not the only one to give a fat girl a ride(in the boat) :D

Latest posts