Wire Gauge Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaitCaster

Reaction score
I need to by some wire to run from my trolling motor to my battery. What gauge wire do I need 0 6? Also, is there a cheap place to get it?

I would go with atleast 10 - thicker if you are going more than 5' and have a 40lb+ motor.

The thicker the ga wire, the more current you will run resulting in longer battery life and a cooler head on your trolling motor.

russ010 said:
I would go with atleast 10 - thicker if you are going more than 5' and have a 40lb+ motor.

The thicker the ga wire, the more current you will run resulting in longer battery life and a cooler head on your trolling motor.

Thanks for that. Yes, I was just reading some information on proper gauge. Depends on length of wire and amp draw on the motor. As my wire will be running the lenght of the boat, i.e., almost 15 ft, looks like I will need a minimum of 8 gauge.

I had to do the same thing (run 13 ft. the length of the boat) and I went with the 6 gauge bonded pair from Cabelas here

This is very thick wire! It isn't really bonded, but incased in a rubbery PVC housing and considering the thickness, it's surprisingly easy to manipulate. It's nice wire and I am happy with it....but it's definitely not the cheapest.

guffey said:
I had to do the same thing (run 13 ft. the length of the boat) and I went with the 6 gauge bonded pair from Cabelas here

This is very thick wire! It isn't really bonded, but incased in a rubbery PVC housing and considering the thickness, it's surprisingly easy to manipulate. It's nice wire and I am happy with it....but it's definitely not the cheapest.

Yeah, I know about the Cabelas wire. I was looking at it. It's about $50 for 15 ft. However, I think I am going to have to go with the 6 gauge.

Most factory rigs use the 6 gauge wire it is the best bet that way when/if you upgrade the trolling otor to a larger one you will be set.

I agree, if you are spanning the length of your boat, go with the biggest you can afford!

I am running my wire 6' for a 71# trolling motor, and I'm using 4ga wire.

This is where I get my wire from - I order it at the actual length I need it, then get them to add the ends on for an additional $1...

https://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine Grade Wire/ - they have a pretty quick turn around too

russ010 said:
I agree, if you are spanning the length of your boat, go with the biggest you can afford!

This is where I get my wire from - I order it at the actual length I need it, then get them to add the ends on for an additional $1...

https://shop.genuinedealz.com/Marine Grade Wire/ - they have a pretty quick turn around too

Those are good prices.

BaitCaster said:
russ010 said:

Those are good prices.

Excellent quality wire too. Free shipping and good customer service. I've always been real pleased with them, and won't get marine wire anywhere else.

Click the link for the technical calculator on the top of their page. Plug in the amp draw of the trolling motor, run length, voltage and a wire size, and see what the % percent voltage drop is. If the drop is over 3%, try a larger size. The goal is to get the voltage drop below 3%, and that calculator takes out either the guesswork, or the pen and paper work calculating Ohm's law, depending on what kind of person you are. :lol:

If I didn't do my own work this is where I'd go ... In fact it would probably be the only place I'd go

BaitCaster said:
Checked out Great Lakes Skipper last night and they seem to have the best prices on wire.

they are a good company too - that's where I got my Gator Tour Mount for my 71# trolling motor

russ010 said:
BaitCaster said:
Checked out Great Lakes Skipper last night and they seem to have the best prices on wire.

they are a good company too - that's where I got my Gator Tour Mount for my 71# trolling motor

Yeah, I found out about them through this forum. I ordered a deck hatch from them last night.

Latest posts