Your first TinBoat. Post you pictures.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly all the photos I had taken were lost, but here's a link to my first Sears 7.5 HP for $248 and my first tin boat @ 12' and $199. Less than a year later I brought the ever failing 7.5 back to Sears for a full refund and grabbed a lightly used Johnson 15 and never looked back.
Comparing the water cooled 2 cyl Johnson to the air cooled Sears was like night and day!
1976 Sears Spring Summer Catalog, Page 1110 - Catalogs & Wishbooks

1976 Sears Spring Summer Catalog, Page 1113 - Catalogs & Wishbooks

1729722834307.png

Sadly all the photos I had taken were lost, but here's a link to my first Sears 7.5 HP for $248 and my first tin boat @ 12' and $199. Less than a year later I brought the ever failing 7.5 back to Sears for a full refund and grabbed a lightly used Johnson 15 and never looked back.
Comparing the water cooled 2 cyl Johnson to the air cooled Sears was like night and day!
1976 Sears Spring Summer Catalog, Page 1110 - Catalogs & Wishbooks

1976 Sears Spring Summer Catalog, Page 1113 - Catalogs & Wishbooks

View attachment 123340
Funny you mention the Sears outboard...my father purchased a new Sears 7.5 up motor in 1954. Awesome motor, always fired right up, ran it for over 10 years, only issue was a glass bowl under the carb which needed cleaning on occasion and it was slippery due to the oil in the fuel. We kept an extra on hand! Otherwise a great motor, traded it in for a bigger boat and motor.

Funny you mention the Sears outboard...my father purchased a new Sears 7.5 up motor in 1954. Awesome motor, always fired right up, ran it for over 10 years, only issue was a glass bowl under the carb which needed cleaning on occasion and it was slippery due to the oil in the fuel. We kept an extra on hand! Otherwise a great motor, traded it in for a bigger boat and motor.
I don't know if the Ted Williams (Sears eng) was a pig or not. I bought her in April of 76, I was 13, she broke down by May and I brought her back to Sears. 2 weeks later she was back on the boat and running again. She broke down again in June, had her back at Sears and by the time schools let out I was back up and running again. This repair lasted all summer, ran that bad boy like an animal, no wake speed and WOT, like any dumb kid I guess. Went clamming for extra cash and to help pay my father back for the loan of $500. By Nov she broke down again and I remembered Sears had a full 1 year guarantee. I brought her in with my receipt, plunked her down on the counter and got back my $248 bucks. Found the used Johnson for $440. Negotiated down to an even $400 and was out the door. She ran like a top until the day I sold her. Did everything from exploring swamps, to water skiing to a jaunt or two in the ocean. I'll also never forget paying my father back the last of the loan. Made me feel real good to know I kept my word, not that dad would have let me forget it.

Latest posts