Filling old drill holes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoneDigger

Reaction score
I have an older 1960s V-hull aluminum boat. I bought it used to use on a pond. There are lots of drill holes from previously mounting things. I will be repainting soon. Is there anything I can fill these with that looks good vs just silicone?

Common problem with used boats. Holes everywhere. If the aluminum is in good shape the holes could probably be TIG welded and sanded smooth.

It's just an old pond boat so I don't want to get too expensive with it. I counted 32 similar holes around the boat.

Attachments

• 20240504_131106.jpg
    20240504_131106.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240504_131124.jpg
    20240504_131124.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 0
I fill them with stove bolts. Can't stand that Swiss cheese look. If they're real small a pan head screw will work too.

It's just an old pond boat so I don't want to get too expensive with it. I counted 32 similar holes around the boat.
Do you have a buddy with an aluminum capable MIG? They are fairly common these days.

I guy could stick chewing gum in the holes if he wants to be cheap. Just don’t use JB Weld, it might look like aluminum but, it’s iron based.

I’ve used pop rivets on interior holes where I have removed or moved things. For holes thru the hull, like you have, I’d look toward bucking rivets. You won’t end up with protruding nuts, etc to catch on something. Ie no welder here. If you do use bolts, try to get aluminum ones or SS. A short bolt with nyloc nut, sealed with a little 4200.

Last edited:
I have an older 1960s V-hull aluminum boat. I bought it used to use on a pond. There are lots of drill holes from previously mounting things. I will be repainting soon. Is there anything I can fill these with that looks good vs just silicone?

For interior holes, why not use JB Weld? I'm assuming they are small screw holes.
Any JB Weld that I’ve seen has an iron based filler material. It could corrode the aluminum over time. If a guy could find a similar product with aluminum filler, it would probably be fine.

Common problem with used boats. Holes everywhere. If the aluminum is in good shape the holes could probably be TIG welded and sanded smooth.
I’m in a similar situation. I came across this very helpful YT video: it covers 3 main solutions

Sealants (5200 or JB)
Rivets
Brazing

Any JB Weld that I’ve seen has an iron based filler material. It could corrode the aluminum over time. If a guy could find a similar product with aluminum filler, it would probably be fine.

Oh boy. JB Weld is my go to epoxy and this is something I never gave any thought to. Last thing I want is a patch to cause corrosion that will have to be dealt with down the road. Though, in fresh water use, I suppose it would likely take years. Still, I would want to avoid it. I did a quick search out of curiosity. There are aluminum based epoxy products out there.

Some time back, TB member @DaleH posted some pic's of corrosion caused by 5200 used on unprimed aluminum.

I'd like to add that in all my years using JB Weld, I've yet to see it rust. How come? I used it on a alum snowmobile block one time and ran that engine for years with no issues.

I'd like to add that in all my years using JB Weld, I've yet to see it rust. How come? I used it on an alum snowmobile block one time and ran that engine for years with no issues.
Don’t know, I was not testing this stuff in a controlled experiment. Perhaps it isn’t rusting because the filler is suspended in epoxy? The aluminum alloy could also have some influence.

All that I can tell you is a year ago when I was considering JB Weld products to fix some holes in aluminum, l was reading the labels and they all used iron or steel based filler.

If you are Ok with it then use it but, I decided to avoid the stuff.

I'd like to add that in all my years using JB Weld, I've yet to see it rust. How come? I used it on a alum snowmobile block one time and ran that engine for years with no issues.

I think JB Weld is a terrific product. Can't remember when I haven't had it out in the garage for whatever might come up.

Don’t know, I was not testing this stuff in a controlled experiment. Perhaps it isn’t rusting because the filler is suspended in epoxy? The aluminum alloy could also have some influence.

All that I can tell you is a year ago when I was considering JB Weld products to fix some holes in aluminum, l was reading the labels and they all used iron or steel based filler.

If you are Ok with it then use it but, I decided to avoid the stuff.

I was thinking about galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals (steel & aluminum). Like you say, maybe the goop is it suspended in provides some insulating value. I never did well in Chemistry, so really have no idea.

Maybe over thinking it, but now that it is in my head, I'll go with aluminum based epoxy if I ever have the need to use it on the boat.

I think JB Weld is a terrific product. Can't remember when I haven't had it out in the garage for whatever might come up.

I was thinking about galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals (steel & aluminum). Like you say, maybe the goop is it suspended in provides some insulating value. I never did well in Chemistry, so really have no idea.

Maybe over thinking it, but now that it is in my head, I'll go with aluminum based epoxy if I ever have the need to use it on the boat.
JB Weld does bond surprising well.

JB weld is called "Liquid Steel" because it's tough, but it's epoxy based. I have used it for decades in steel, aluminum, and other materials. Have never EVER seen it corrode or anything it touches. That's an urban legend, in my opinion.

I strongly favor using solid rivets to close holes up. They look good, are permanent, and are easy to do. But any of the methods will work just fine for a pond boat.

The main thing is to be done quickly and get on the water.