How to Fix Warped Aluminum Transom (in hull)?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossberg

Reaction score
What is the best method to bend the aluminum at the back of the transom (the hull) so that it is all flush with the shelf that the transom sits on or does it matter if it's not perfectly flush? None of the rivets are located where the warps/gaps are (rivets are located everywhere the transom isn't warped, which is likely why it warped in these two locations). I'm reinstalling the aluminum bracket/shelf the transom sits on (with aluminum rivets) and will be installing an all-aluminum transom. As you can see in the photo, the transom is warped outward to the left and right of where the outboard mounts to the transom. It's a 1988 Bass Track Pro 17. Any advice or don't worry about it?

transom warping.png

The boat hull sheet metal relies on structural components (ribs & stringers) to maintain its shape. In your case the wood transom was the structure that helped the sheet metal maintain its shape. You removed the wood, now the thin sheet metal can bow or flex out of shape. When you install your new new transom, the sheet metal will take the shape of the new structure (transom). If your new transom is perfectly straight and flat, the sheet metal will be perfectly straight and flat after you have attached the transom to the sheet metal.

That slight bow in the transom sheet metal will straighten out with the transom installed.

I don’t see an issue with it.

Last edited:
My transom metal was like that until I put the transom in and the decks and so on. Now it's flat, but the thru-bolts that tie everything together help.

Last edited:

Latest posts